Italy

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

Can I trouble all to help.

I have the 30th Aug to 1st Sept 2012 free. I've been told to visit Milan (2 days), then to Venice and Verona and have my flight back into London on the 1st Sept late at night.

How shall I go to these places? Air / Train? What's the cheapest and ideal?

I have aso the 7th Sept to 11th Sept which I'm told to visit Rome, Florence and Tuscany.
Please help on this too and much appreciate all your suggestions.

Looking forward to your help from everyone!

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM

You need a new travel advisor. In each case you have only a couple of days and should visit just one place - or you will spend the bulk of your very limited time in travel versus sightseeing.

30th Sept to 1st Sept in 3 days - INCLUDING travel to/fro Italy - you simply cannot go 3 places in 1 full day and 2 half days.

7 to 11 Sept is 3 days plus 2 half days - again - stick to one place and actually see something besides the train stations of italy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM

<<I've been told to visit Milan (2 days)>> By whom? Is this a first trip to Italy? Milan belongs on maybe a 10th trip unless you're a fashion model or hugely into seeing The Last Supper.

Your itinerary is close to impossible unless you're doing a thesis on Italian train stations.

You can't visit Rome, Florence, and Tuscany (and BTW, Florence is IN Tuscany) in 3 days. Totally impossible.

You essentially have a week to travel. Go to one place and make a daytrip or two at most.

And ditch whoever's advising you.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Yes I think a new travel guide would do! Lol! It sure sounds as I I'm in for the amazing race.

What would you reckon I do now with the first trip?
I need to purchase some suits so I guess Milan is definitely it. Assuming I'm done with Milan, where would you suggest I go?

As for the second trip, I take it as go to Rome and thereafter do a day trip to either one of the other places?

Much appreciate all your help in this matter.

Thanks so much again!
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:14 PM

First trip. Go to Venice for a day. That is it. Forget Milan and the suits this time.
Second trip. Go to Rome. That is it.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 01:55 AM

I would go for the first short break to Venice - better than Milan for sure as a first visit, as another Fodorite commented. If you have some free time you can visit Verona from there. Fly in or out of Venice Marco Polo Airport, or Venice Treviso Airport (Ryan Air lands there as well, or alternatively Verona) Regarding your shopping for suits - there are plenty of high-end shops in Rome, or to suit your budget - so buy your suits on your second trip.

I would go to Rome for the other break. You can do a day trip from there if you feel you need to get out of this city for a day - even as far as Florence (which is doubtful as you are only going for a few days.

Is it because of business reasons that you have to do two trips in two weeks to the same country? - or do you simply have these slots available for two short breaks and intend to take maybe low cost airlines? - or is it your intention to choose one of the two breaks you have available. If it is the latter, I would go for Rome, since you have more days at your disposal, there is plenty to do there, and you would fit in the shopping spree for suits.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want suits you will generally find off-the-peg "Brand" suits in Milan, so rubbish like Armani etc (just near the Opera). If however you go down the side streets near the main railway station you could find a tailors who would make you a proper suit but not over a weekend (they take a week or two once you get out of Hong Kong etc).

If you are based in UK why not just go to your local tailor for a proper suit?
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM

You can hardly swing a cat anywhere in Italy without finding a place to buy suits - it's not a reason to head to Milan.

Do Venice for the first trip, Rome for the second. If, in either place, you feel the need to get out and see something different (I'd wager you won't), from Venice head to Verona or Vicenza or Padua; from Rome head to Ostia Antica or down the coast.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys. Thanks so much for your replies. Much appreciate it. The reason I'm doing the in between back and forth is because of the work in Scotland.

My travel plans has now changed.
Therefore I have the 30th aug - 1st sept to be anywhere (pls advise again). Travel back on the 1st sept night to London.

Next available will be 7th sept to 13th sept (pls advise again....considering i have more time now).

The reason I ask for advise again is because the city may be changed between the suggested since i have more days and you guys may just recommend to travel once to Italy from the 7th onwards and not travel back and forth as originally planned.

Looking forward again to your contributions and suggestions. This will have to determine my final travel plan and make final arrangements today itself.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:05 AM

I think it would be very nice to fly to northern Italy for this weekend. The weather will be very nice. If you stay in Verona, then you can visit both Venice and Milan or Lago di Garda if you feel like it. There are many airports you can use.

For your second trip, I think it would be nice to go to Rome and Florence. You can take a bus from Florence to see Siena as well. You can fly back to London from Pisa.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:07 AM

I forgot to add, If you want to go to Milan, you should go on Saturday, because everything will be closed on Sunday. There is also nice shopping in Verona if you don't want to go Milan to shop.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Maybe to avoid the hassle of travelling twice to Italy in such a short time, you might take a flight to Venice, spend 3 nights there, then train (or take low cost internal flight, check out Easyjet or Ryan air - they both do internal flights in Italy) to either Florence or Rome and spend the last 3 nights in the city you chose.

Alternatively, if you do not mind travelling for a holiday in such a short time span, go for the first weekend break to Venice, and during your second holiday do either Rome and Florence (or anywhere else in Tuscany or Umbria) or stay for the six nights in Rome.

It always depends on whether you like to include countryside or prefer cities, whether you are more into culture and history and whether you would prefer to visit a city thoroughly, or prefer visiting multiple cities. It is all a matter of personal choice.

As another reviewer commented, you can buy nice suits anywhere in Italy.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much peeps! You've been great. Can I buy you guys coffee if you are in town. Cheers
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:40 AM

just travelled by train in italy, it would have been great had the train not broken down on us several times, once leaving us stranded at night in this town which had no open hotel rooms...we had to sleep outside the train station that night. i recommend if you are going to use the trains, to travel in the morning/afternoon, in case the train breaks you will have time to find another route.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Italian trains are pretty (actually extremely) reliable I wouldn't bother to plan for their failure.