Reload this Page >

train from Krakow to Eger to Budapest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 02:02 PM
kathy pompe

Has anyone taken a train from Krakow to Eger then after a few days, another train from Eger to Budapest? Is it possible? Should we consider going overnight with a sleeper cabin? (Krakow to Eger section) We'd appreciate any insights into train travel in Eastern Europe--Czech Republic, Poland, and Hungary. Thanks! Kathy

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Linda

Check http://bahn.hafas.de If it was the correct Eger--2 train changes and about 11 hours from Krakow. Budapest was almost 3 hours from the Eger I saw. I didn't see any difference in trains but I rode the through trains not locals.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Eric

Dear Kathy, <BR>I twice rode the Cracovia Express from Budapest to Krakow-'99 and '00. I did'nt stop in Eger. I took a sleeper car and it was fine. The price for one way was about $60.00, if memory serves me right. You have to book about four days in advance. I recommend it. <BR>Jo utat kivanok! <BR>Szczesliwej podrozy! <BR>Eric

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Pompe, <BR> <BR>The night btrain between Krakow and the village just south of Eger is the Cracovia Express, and I've taken it a couple of times. In the disordered days of December 1989 I was even propositioned at Kosice on that train by a prostitute, but nowadays the conductors keep proper security. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. The express carries 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers, 6 berth couchettes, and a restaurant car. You board at Krakow Glowbny (beware pickpockets) from 2200, and the train leaves at 2220. You're woken briefly for frontier checks (but stay in bed) at 0225 and 0537, and reach Fuzesabony at 0751. You leave there at 0812 and reach Eger at 0820. It's a mile into the city centre: I usually take a taxi. The Senator Hotel is a model of its kind, and you'd find breakfast on the sideboard. <BR> <BR>There are many trains that take two hours from Eger to Budapest, mostly with a short change of train in Fuzesabony. I think I'd leave Eger at 1038 or 1310, change at Fuzesabony, and lunch on the mainline train before I reached Budapest at 1227 or 1457. <BR> <BR>Interesting to learn from Linda of the errors in the Hafas site. I'm afraid they're not too hot in central Europe. <BR> <BR>"Any insights" is a tall order. Trains in central Europe, that is in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, and Hungary, are much like those in western Europe, but often rather older stock, or an older design of stock, than you find on top expresses in western Europe now. Hungary is an exception, on such premier trains as the two I've suggested for your arrival in Budapest standards are right up there at west European levels. <BR> <BR>Sleepers and couchettes are standard European patterns, so I've added to the e-mail copy of this reply a note that I keep on disc on night trains in Europe. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:34 AM
Kex

Hi Kathy! I strongly recommend that you should check web site www.pkp.pl if you want to know exact schedule for all train relations in Poland. The site is available in english. <BR> <BR>best wishes <BR>