train from Italian Riviera to Nice

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:42 AM
kate

train from Italian Riviera to Nice

Help! I have to get from Santa Marguerita Ligure to Nice, France on August 31st, preferably arriving that evening. Since my time is pretty tight, should I buy tickets in the U.S.? If so, how is best?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Steve James

Hello Kate,

You can book in Italy a few days before you travel - no need to book in the U.S.

Your journey time is 4-5 hours, normally with a change of train at Genova P.P and again at Ventimiglia.

Train timetables are onBR>www.trenitalia.it

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:04 AM
Francis

Kate,
I travelled this route three weeks ago. Steve is correct. You will have to change at Genoa Piazza Principle station and at Ventimiglia. Travel time from Santa Margherita Ligure to Genoa P.P. is about three quarters of an hour, and travel time to Ventimiglia is two hours, and another half hour to Nice.

There is really no necessity to book tickets in advance. Just buy them at Santa Margherita Ligure station just before you travel. How long the total journey will take depends on how long you would need to wait when you change trains at Genoa P.P. and Ventimiglia.

I bought a copy of the Italian train time-table when I was in Italy last month. Let me know approximately what time you intend to start your journey and I will look up and propose a train schedule for you.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:43 AM
kate

Francis and Steve---Thanks! I need to get to the train station in Nice to pick up the rental car for France. Given the time it seems to take, I would probably need to leave SML about noon or so?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:53 AM
Steve James

Kate - With the 12.00 train from SML and the 13.17 from Genova Piazza Principe, you would arrive in Nice at 17.10.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Francis

Kate,
Sorry for my late response as I did not log onto this site...

Steve is correct on the times that he has given. According to the Time-Table that I purchased in Italy, below are the possibilities:

On the La Spezia - Genoa line:
Train #R11286 leaves Santa Margherita at 12:00 and arrives Genoa P.P. 12:58.

Train #R11288 leaves at 12:29 and arrives 13:21.

On the Genoa P.P. - Ventimiglia line:
Train #D2888 leaves Genoa P.P. at 13:17 and arrives Ventimiglia 16:15.

Train #D2188 leaves at 14:07 and arrives 16:54.

At Ventimiglia, you change to a French train. I do not have the time-table, but the frequency during daytime is probably about one every hour or so.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:01 AM
kate

Frances and Steve---Thanks for the helpful info.