Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Florence to Venice - Reservations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-florence-to-venice-reservations-132081/)

Jim Jun 25th, 2001 03:46 AM

Train from Florence to Venice - Reservations?

We will be taking a train from Florence to Venice on a Saturday. Is it recommended to get reservations ahead of time? Any other recommendations?

Chris Philhower Jun 25th, 2001 04:03 AM

I am interested to know too -- I'll be traveling Venice to Florence on Friday, then making the return trip on Sunday (mid-July).<BR><BR>I've checked out trenitalia.com and have the train times I want, but note that you have to be home for delivery (how many day of sitting home waiting will that be? -- rhetorical question) or you can pick up pre-purchased tickets at the stations that have ticket machines (but that portion of the site is down, so I don't know if I can in Venice or Florence!)<BR><BR>Sorry I can't help you Jim, but if you haven't already, check out the site above -- at least you can get train times and numbers. I've read that Rail Europe is very expensive, so I'd rather get the tickets ahead of time.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for help!

Paige Jun 25th, 2001 04:34 AM

I'd recommend at least making seat reservations once you're in Italy. I had to stand up once for the entire trip from Venice to Florence. Not fun!

Beth Anderson Jun 25th, 2001 04:34 AM

I took the ES Italia, which I recommend, and you need to make seat reservations. (I went Venice/Florence/Venice).<BR><BR>I bought my tickets a day or so ahead of time and reserved my seat the day before with no probs. This was New Years though...

claire Jun 25th, 2001 06:21 AM

If you don't mind paying a small supplement and the cost of AirborneLetter/FedEx type service for mailing, try CIT-Tours. I just bought both train tickets and seat reservations for our first two Italian train trips in late July/early August. I had the tickets in my hand within a week.

Chris Philhower Jun 25th, 2001 06:33 AM

Thanks so much for all the help -- I have a CIT-Tours in town and will go there tomorrow!<BR><BR>Thanks again! <BR><BR>And Paige -- my sympathies on having to stand for that train ride (I've had to do the same on the TGV -- bleah).

trish Jun 25th, 2001 09:40 AM

just back from Italy, we traveled from Venice to Florence on a Saturday, and booked the tickets the day before, but the first two trains were full, so we had to leave later than we had planned(same day, just later in the afternoon). Definitely get seat reservations...

Barbara Jun 25th, 2001 12:41 PM

I did the same route in April. The train was an hour late so beware. It just makes the train that much more crowded. We didn't have reservations &amp; managed the hour &amp; a half ride sitting in the corridor outside the reserved cabins. I enjoyed the view of the countryside. Pull the seat out of the wall...

alex Jun 25th, 2001 12:46 PM

I just returned from Italy Saturday and did the train thing. I would recommend taking the ES trains, they are new and fast and clean. We made all of our train reservations (three) at one time at a travel agency in Venice the day before. We were able to get first class on all but one and the second class was the same except you don't get a drink. Make sure you ask for non-smoking if that is an issue for you. Have fun.