Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Florence to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-florence-to-venice-430989/)

dpranck Sep 10th, 2008 08:46 AM

Train from Florence to Venice

Has anyone taken the train from Florence to Venice? We will be in Florence in November and we were thinking about going to Venice for the day. Is the trip doable or should we wait until we have more time to spend in Venice.

Thanks.

PalenQ Sep 10th, 2008 08:48 AM

3.5 actual travel hours each way on the train

7 hours total

not worth it IMO though i guess even to see Venice for a few hours and take a boat ride thru canals, etc. is one of the most fantastic experiences in all my years of European travel so if you want to leave early and get back late go for it.

bobthenavigator Sep 10th, 2008 08:50 AM

The trip is about 2:40 each way and runs hourly. I would wait for more time. Nov. is not a great time and one rushed day in Venice often leaves visitors with a bad taste.

PalenQ Sep 10th, 2008 08:58 AM

Train shorter than i thought but still six hours all told getting to station, etc.

and in Nov is one of the more possible times of flooding in Venice so keep posted on that before setting off - no fun inching around on raised catwalks

maitaitom Sep 10th, 2008 09:01 AM

"...and one rushed day in Venice often leaves visitors with a bad taste."

As someone who did exactly that on his first trip, I agree 100% with Bob. We went for a day in 1996, and afterward I swore I would not return to Venice. "Disneyland on Speed" was my exact quote. I hated it.

Fortunately, people talked me in to going back and spending a few days (and, more importantly, nights) in 2001. We loved it so much that we included it in our itinerary for 2005 and 2008. Wait until you can devote a few days to Venice. I think you will find it as magical as most who travel there.

((H))

flanneruk Sep 10th, 2008 09:02 AM

Why on earth would you contemplate not going for even a millisecond?

A couple of hours after leaving Florence, your train's going atmosherically cross the (probably) gloomy Lagoon.

You walk out of the station and you're instantly surrounded by Venice in a way no other city's main railway station quite manages. (OK: maybe Istanbul)

You then walk through the city gobsmacked, eating an indifferent and overpriced lunch - but in every other respect gobsmacked in the nicest possible way. Then after six hours or so, you get the train back to Florence.

Just one thing you absolutely must not do: kid yourself you've even got the wrapping off, never mind scratched the surface of Venice.

And, while wimps go into tizzies about how cold and damp November weather can be in Venice, the - really just fine - weather keeps all the wooses away so the city's only a bit crowded. And nowhere on earth does melancholy so well, especially in November. The perfect antidote to all that upbeat stuff further south.

And I speak as one who took a three-hour journey to Venice each way every fourth Saturday for a year. Terrific use of time.

Reisender Sep 10th, 2008 09:37 AM

I agree - Venice is wonderful in November. We have never been there in any other month and it has always been excellent. Sadly, it seems that many other people have discovered this as well. Last November it was crowded, more than I have ever seen it in November. Still nowhere like you hear about in the summer but there were a lot of folks!

I say get up early, and go for it!

Margaretlb Sep 10th, 2008 10:05 AM

My train from Florence to Venice on Thanksgiving Friday in 2005 took 4.5 hours. It snowed and the train was slow.

Dukey Sep 10th, 2008 10:20 AM

If this may be the only time you get to visit Venice in quite a while then i agree with getting up and taking the first/fastest train available and spending as long there as you possibly can.

I would rather see even a little of Venice vs a lot of other places in Italy but that's obviously a personal thing for me.

As to November...I'm not sure once you've seen a good deal of Florence that November weather there will necessarily make things seem any more exciting so why not?

I'll be in Venice for several days next November and delighted to be since it means fewer crowds.

dpranck Sep 10th, 2008 10:20 AM

Thank you so much. I am going to discuss all the pros and cons with my friends. This was great and that is why I love Fodors.