Search

3 or 4 days in London with 6 & 3 year olds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 or 4 days in London with 6 & 3 year olds

Hi,
I am planning to take a stopover in London on my way to India for 3-4 days. I will be travelling with a 3 and a 6 year old. What can I cover in that may days. After reading the posts here is what I think we must see/do
1) The Open bus tour
2) the change of gaurd at Buckhingham palace
3) Wax museum
4) Big Ben
5) Tower of London.

Is there anything else that is a must see/do there, and any other tips with kids.
Also which would be the best place hotel and location to stay ( we would like something nice )

TIA

Rea
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I'd skip the wax museum. Not worth the wait or the money. London eye would be fun. Science museum would be a hit - especially if the weather is bad. Running around in the parks is a lot of fun- try the Princess Diana playground in the North corner of Kensington Gardens.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/ little ones in tow I would ditch both the Changing of the Guard and madame Tussauds. In fact they are close to the last two places I'd take a 3 yo and 6 yo.

The Changing of the Guard - especially during the summer - is an absolute mob scene. You would have to be there an hour ahead of time ti get a place the kids could see anything. And then they will be surrounded by hundreds of people all jockeying for positions. And for that hour you have to just stand there. Walk them by Horse Guards instead - they can soldier sitting up on gorgeous horses.

And Mme Tussauds wax museum is not anything little kids would enjoy. Another mob scene. and they would not have any idea who any of those wax people are.

Instead of either of those - take the to: The Princess Diana playground at Kensington Gardens; a boat ride onthe Thames; The Natural History Museum (I have yet to meet a 6yo who doesn't go goofy over the Dinasaurs); Hamleys toy store (or the toy Dept at Harrods): Possibly the zoo - take a canal boat through Little Venice and get off at the zoo.

Big Ben is just a "walk by" - nothing much for kids.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oops - that should say " . . . . they can see soldiers sitting up on gorgeous horses."
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I would let them see the guards in their big busby hats. Every kid I know loves looking at the stiff faced guards and trying to make them laugh. Not sure the changing of the gaurds will be worth the wait for them as much as I like it.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM

At the Tower there are guards that change also--we got great shots of our kids trying to distract them. The very first part of the Tower tour is SLOW -- make sure you have treats! After that it is neat to see the crown jewels. Are your kids boys or girls? My boys were 6 and 8, they loved the armory in the Tower. The Tower Bridge experience was good also. Do not miss the London Eye. Skip wax museum, drive by Big Ben, skip Buckingham. We also skipped the bus tour--it would have been too hot. Go to the British Museum--just look at what they want to see, follow them around, enjoy at their pace! other ideas--HMS Belfast, day trip to Hampton Court...Have fun!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM

with children this age, here is my top 10 list:

--Diana Memorial Playground
--Hamley's toy store
--Science Museum (special area for younger kids in the basement)
--a quick look at the mounted horseguards in Whitehall
--follow the marching guards from or to Buckingham Palace (instead of standing crowded at the palace fence)
--stand near Big Ben at 12:00 noon to hear the bells ring
--another run in a park..there are many, take your pick
--a boatride on the Thames, assuming motion sickness is not an issue
--Yeoman Warder tour at the Tower of London (although the 3 year old might be a bit bored)
--ride on the London Eye

Of course, your children may have different interests and different tolerances for touring.

Dave W.
dw*kidstolondon.com
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM

We enjoyed the Duck Tours (now ubiquitous around the world). Driving around London in an open aired vehicle one minute and driving right into the Thames the next for a quick float around. You can pick up the Duck near the London Eye (check online just in case they've gone out of business).
Also near there is the London Aquarium, always fun for kids.