Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

train from como to salzburg...how to book??

Nov 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

I am leaving for Como in two weeks and would like to book my train ride to Salzburg before I leave. I have tried looking on the Bahn site (German rail) and I can see the route but I can't book it online. It says I can book it through a qualified travel agent but doesn't actually list any. There is also a phone number to call but I am not very eager to try and do it over the phone. Any advice????
Nov 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't bother booking before you leave home. In late November, I don't think this will be a terribly popular route. Just go to a travel agent after arriving in Italy. Ask your hotel in Como to recommend one.
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM

I believe you have two ways to get from Como to Salzburg. One is via Zurich. The other is Como - Milan - Verona - Innsbruck - Salzburg.

If you're lucky with trenitalia.com, you can buy the Como - Zurich ticket, or you can buy separate Como - Milan - Verona and Verona - Innsbruck tickets online. The Como - Milan - Verona sections are on EC trains, and you don't need reservations.

On www.oebb.at, you can buy Innsbruck - Salzburg tickets online, though the part of their site is in German only.

I can't figure out how to buy Zurich - Salzburg ticket on the www.sbb.ch.

---

So, at least part (or parts) of your train journey can be purchased online in advance. But I tend to agree with Jean. Just buy them after you get to Italy.
Nov 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

That may be what I have to resort to...I am not worried about trains being full or anything, it just seemed cheaper to book them online than at a travel agent...anyone have any experience with that?? I am traveling with 4 people total so the extra $ could really add up. Also any suggestion re: the Zurich route v. the Verona route?
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Just buy it in Italy at the station or any travel agent but do it 24 hours or more prior. The best route may depend on timing--what time of day? Use bahn.de
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Bob - we are planning on leaving early - around 7am - so we get into Salzburg with enough time to wander a little and have dinner. We prefer to travel in daylight and take in the scenery...thanks for any advice.
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Your choices are to leave Como at 5:06 and arrive in Salzburg at 15:29 (3:29 p.m.) or to leave Como at 7:55 and arrive in Salzburg at 17:29 (5:29 p.m.)
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM

You can also leave at 9:07. Arrive Zurich 12:51. Depart Zurich 13:40 and arrives Salzburg 19:29. Not the fastest, but only one switch.

The 7:55 - 17:29 connection is via Milan, Verona and Innsbruck. 3 switches, but faster.

Or even 10:14 - 18:53 or later. Same 3 connections.

The 5:08 - 15:29 itinerary is a little different. You go to Milano Porta Garibaldi, then have to switch over to Milano Centrale; then Innsbruck. No need to switch at Verona.

All these are on www.bahn.de. Find out which train you want, then buy the ticket at any Italian train station.