Train from Civitivecchia Port to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are checking all means of transport from Civitivecchia to Rome. We are on a budget and find that the train is very economical and faster than ground trnsport. We want to know if this will be a "cattle car" even if we make reservations, can we do this with luggage and has anyone done this in the month of November. All comments are appreciated. dp1206
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Almost without exception, the large majority of services from Civitavecchia into Rome are 'regional' trains mostly with 2nd class seating.....reservations unnecessary.

the station is about a ten-minute walk on sidewalks/flat surfaces from the <B>entrance</B> to the port; how far from that entrance your ship actually docks is anyone's guess.

the many taxis which will appear as if by magic on the dock next to your ship will all want to take you all the way to Rome.

the cost of the train ride was onlt a few Euro last time I took it (couple of years ago); sorry i haven't done it in November.

As to the "cattle car" question...you mean like on an airplane where there is barely room to move? No, it isn't quite that bad and a lot of those trains originate in Civitavecchia and make lots of stops on the way including St. Peter's and as the thing progresses it may get more and more crowded.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
GAC

The "regionale" ("R") train from Civitavecchia to Rome costs a mere 4.50 Euros in second class, and takes either 1 hr. 9 mins. or 1 hr. 21 mins. Don't bother taking an IC train, which costs much more and won't get you there much quicker. You have the choice of getting off not only at Roma Termini, but also at several outlying stations in Rome, such as St. Peter's and Ostiense. NO RESERVATIONS are allowed on the "R" trains, so just take the first available seat when you board at Civitavecchia. Some of these "R" trains originate in Pisa and may already be nearly full. Others originate in Civitavecchia. However, November is low season for tourism, so most of the passengers will be local commuters (hence try to avoid commute hours). Luggage on the train is not an issue, as long as your railcar is not jam packed.

I have walked from the Civitavecchia Port to the train station. I was arriving from Sardinia on Tirrenia Lines, and the walk took 20 minutes. In your case, everything depends on the exact location where your cruise ship docks. The Civitavecchia Port is huge. The walk can be as little as 15 minutes or as long as 30 mins. The terrain is flat, but there are lots of heavy trucks and passenger cars to avoid, and it's a very annoying walk, in my opinion, although certainly NOT dangerous. I suggest taking a taxi to the station, even if that will mean paying at least 15 Euros (or three times the cost of the train to Rome!!!). There is supposed to be a local bus service connecting the Port to the Station, but it can be a hassle locating the bus stop and then waiting for the bus to arrive. Check to see whether your cruise operator organizes a shuttle service to the Station.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
GAC

Here are the train schedules:

www.ferroviedellostato.it

http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/npp...aintype=&car=0
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the helpful information. Mass transit can be a wonderful thing if you are prepared. WE are definitely going to give this a try. will let you know how it turns out.