Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from CDG to Dijon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-cdg-to-dijon-831581/)

tucsonbabe Mar 18th, 2010 12:11 PM

Train from CDG to Dijon

Does anyone know what happened to the 11:16 A.M. train from CDG to Dijon for the weeks of April 26th and May 3rd. It runs daily through April 25th then disappears until Saturday and Sunday May 1 and 2. It reappears on Saturday May 8 and runs daily after that.
I understand that one can get a train from Gare de Lyon but we arrive CDG at 6:00 AM on Thursday, May 6 and were hoping to take the train to Dijon from there.
Thanks for your help.

Christina Mar 18th, 2010 01:47 PM

I think it has something to do with holidays. I've seen them do that before, not run a train for some days or a week. I don't think that's an error as I looked at the full schedule for that train and it had a footnote that specifically said it wouldn't run from 4/26-4/30 and then 5/3-5/7. May 1st is a big holiday, of course, and May 8th is one, also. So they don't want to run that train just before the holidays for some reason.

tucsonbabe Mar 18th, 2010 02:49 PM

Christina,
Thank you so much. I think you have solved the mystery. It is off to the Gare de Lyon for us.
How did you pull up the full schedule?

StuDudley Mar 18th, 2010 02:53 PM

See if Cocofromdijon responds when she gets up tomorrow (it is night time in Dijon now)

Stu Dudley

tucsonbabe Mar 18th, 2010 04:51 PM

Thanks Stu. Coco was as mystified as I was. She was the first person I contacted when I could not book the train I wanted. We are staying at her place in Dijon for part of trip.

cocofromdijon Mar 19th, 2010 01:00 AM

I don't get it, if May 1st is bank holiday, why are there TGV running 1st and 2nd (and also 8th and 9th)? I wonder where Chritisna got the full schedule too! Could be very useful.

ira Mar 19th, 2010 03:01 AM

Hi tb,

>How did you pull up the full schedule?<

Got to www.bahn.de
Look up the train for April 25.
Click "intermediate stops"
click "runs not every day, Days of operation"

((I))

tucsonbabe Mar 19th, 2010 06:24 AM

Thanks Ira. I followed your instructions and found the days of operation. This is good info which I will find helpful in the future. That is one quirky train!

Christina Mar 19th, 2010 08:04 AM

I got the schedule on the SNCF website (voyages-sncf.com). They will create PDF files for you of full schedules for any line for the time period you want.

You just go to the section will they will custom-make schedules for you, but the cities in and the date period you want covered (I put in 4/15 through end of May) and they do the whole thing for you. They used to have online the actual PDF files of the little printed leaflets you get in SNCF stations, also, but I couldn't find that yesterday, but I was in a hurry. The complete PDF schedules have lots of footnotes you must pay attention to and the one I read was as I noted.

I don't know their reasoning, but it isn't the holiday itself, but the days just before it. Who knows, sometimes they need the station or lines for other trains on certain dates and holidays do affect train schedules a lot. Maybe because it's two big holidays, they have a lot of trains going from CDG to Provence or something and want to run them instead of those to Dijon. I don't know the mysteries of SNCF.

Christina Mar 19th, 2010 08:07 AM

YOu go to the section on the front page that says "fiche horaire" and click on it, and then fill in the page as to what you want (you specify days of the week you want, also, in addition to the full time period).

I think this is the form to get your own personalized schedule:
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/services...s_fichehoraire

tucsonbabe Mar 19th, 2010 08:15 AM

Thank you Christina. I was able to access the information via the German site provided by Ira. I will also follow your instructions so that I know how to get it from the SNCF also.
Everyone has been a great help and I do appreciate it.

Christina Mar 19th, 2010 09:35 AM

The form I gave will give you alternates, also, but maybe the German site does, also. I just prefer the actual source.

For example, if you put in Roissy for departure city and Dijon for arrival, then you say you want every day and some time period, you can see all possible trains to choose on that route. There aren't any good alternates from CDG, though, on those dates in the morning -- you have to go from CDG to Valence or Lyon and then back to Dijon and it takes about 4-5 hours that way.