Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   train from Bucharest to Brasov (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-bucharest-to-brasov-1465350/)

mike_b12 Aug 15th, 2017 01:27 PM

train from Bucharest to Brasov

I would rather take the train fro Brasov than drive. When I look at rail Europe I see only 2 trains per day. Do I have any other options?
thanks

bdokeefe Aug 15th, 2017 01:32 PM

I just googled it and I see ones every hour or so.

We took this train last October. It's about 2.5 hours on the quickest train. No issues.

PalenQ Aug 15th, 2017 01:33 PM

Go to www.bahn.de/en -German Rail's online train schedule site for all European trains and you will see all possible rail links. For a good introduction to www.bahn.de/en and what the myriad things it can show you that may not be apparent at first glance go to home page of www.budgeteuropetravel.com as they have several tips to use to fully navigate www.bahn.de/en - such as what kind of cars are on the train-whether seat reservations are obligatory, where and how long you have to change, etc.

PalenQ Aug 15th, 2017 01:36 PM

Yup all you need to know - hourly or so direct - check www.seat61.com for insights on booking your own tickets with possible discounts.

check details and if there is first class in that area I would highly recommend it and should not cost a whole lot more.

thursdaysd Aug 15th, 2017 01:38 PM

Ignore Rail Europe. Check schedules at bahn.de and buy your ticket when you get to Bucharest.

Or see: https://www.seat61.com/Romania.htm#B...thin%20Romania

PalenQ Aug 15th, 2017 01:41 PM

Yes RailEurope often only shows trains they sell tickets on.

PalenQ Aug 15th, 2017 01:47 PM

Yup all seem to have first class and have seat reservations mandatory - note if hit "details" and it does not say "2nd class only" it means it has first class and 2nd class.

thursdaysd Aug 15th, 2017 02:20 PM

I traveled that route in second class. No issues, and in fact I had a "conversation" with the women sharing my table for four, and one of them shared a taxi with me on arrival and made sure the driver didn't overcharge me. Much better than lonely state with the businessmen in first.

PalenQ Aug 15th, 2017 02:27 PM

Yeh you can judge every train on that route by your one experience -NOT! I've had nice talks with businessmen you malign in 1st class and IME they are much more likely to speak-uh-de-English.

Ordinary Romanians also ride first class and I see nothing wrong with businessmen. 2nd class is always likely anywhere to have screaming babies, etc too and typically is much fuller in general not every single train.

mike_b12 Aug 15th, 2017 05:40 PM

Wow
Thanks for the great info as usual! I rather relax
On the train then drive.

Man_in_seat_61 Aug 16th, 2017 05:59 AM

www.bahn.de/en is a good quick way to check times all over Europe.

In this case, you can also check times AND buy tickets online at Romanian Railways www.cfrcalatori.ro

PalenQ Aug 16th, 2017 06:02 AM

Man in Seat 61 a few years back admitted on Fodor's that he too was a aficionado of first class! On the trip of a lifetime don't pinch pennies.

mike_b12 Aug 16th, 2017 05:16 PM

Is it true if you book online early there is a discount
on the rates ? I thought I read that somewhere

thursdaysd Aug 16th, 2017 06:47 PM

Yes, but the train fares in Romania are so cheap I never bothered. You might save a dollar or two. Checking the link from seat61 looks like Bucharest to Brasov in second class bought ahead is 44.14 RON. I paid 50.50 in 2014 bought a day ahead. Today 6 RON is 1.54 USD.

PalenQ Aug 17th, 2017 06:09 AM

discounted tickets may well be train specific and non-changeable non-refundable -just buy at station for a lousy $1.50 or about a cup of coffee.

mike_b12 Aug 17th, 2017 09:00 AM

Thanks, for that discount it really is not even
worth the hassle. also if I buy early and
the day I buy for turns out to be a bad weather
day I am stuck!

PalenQ Aug 17th, 2017 09:05 AM

Bad weather affects riding trains?

mike_b12 Aug 17th, 2017 10:23 AM

No. Bad weather would not be good for a day trip!

PalenQ Aug 17th, 2017 10:27 AM

Oh OK -day trip -I see said the blindman.

PalenQ Aug 17th, 2017 12:48 PM

<The fare starts at just €15 (or €35 in 1st class, treat yourself!)>

this from Man in Seat 61 on another thread talking about Munich to Prague trains - simulary treat yourself IMO - maybe one way and 2nd class the other and compare and tell us if there was any difference?