Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Barcelona to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-barcelona-to-paris-1654444/)

gemini21 Jun 11th, 2018 02:09 PM

Train from Barcelona to Paris

Hi Everyone,
I have read from one of this forum that you can take the train from Barcelona to Paris.
Question: Is it possible to leave Barcelona in the evening and arrive Paris in the morning? How convenient is it than flying? Is it cheap or expensive than flying? I'm travelling with my husband.

Thank you for your feedback!

PalenQ Jun 11th, 2018 02:18 PM

No direct overnight train -one involving change in Toulouse in France but that's a hassle (leave Barcelona about 6pm arrive Paris about 7 am). Daytime trains direct yes and take 6.25 hours - www.oui.sncf has all the schedules and fares which can be rather cheap if book far enough in advance to get those discounted ducats. Flying could be just as cheap and a lot quicker of course. www.seat61.com has loads of help on booking own fares online - general advice on what to expect on trains like 1st v 2nd class also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Overnight trains ain't for everyone to begin with but having to change late in evening is a real hassle. Previously there were Talgo direct night trains but those have been withdrawn when the new high-speed railway between Barcelona and Paris started service.

gemini21 Jun 11th, 2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16744627)
No direct overnight train -one involving change in Toulouse in France but that's a hassle (leave Barcelona about 6pm arrive Paris about 7 am). Daytime trains direct yes and take 6.25 hours - www.oui.sncf has all the schedules and fares which can be rather cheap if book far enough in advance to get those discounted ducats. Flying could be just as cheap and a lot quicker of course. www.seat61.com has loads of help on booking own fares online - general advice on what to expect on trains like 1st v 2nd class also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Overnight trains ain't for everyone to begin with but having to change late in evening is a real hassle. Previously there were Talgo direct night trains but those have been withdrawn when the new high-speed railway between Barcelona and Paris started service.

Thanks PalenQ,
I thought it takes 11 hours travel time from Barcelona to Paris. That's why I was considering night train. Ok, 6.5 travel time is not bad at all.

PalenQ Jun 11th, 2018 02:38 PM

You could even break up then journey if you wish to stay overnight in say Avignon or Lyon, etc. Weird to some folks 3 hours is too long on a train to others 6.5 ain't bad- those are very comfy trains - especially in first class and you see some pretty sweet countryside in between - flying you see little and airports can be a hassle with delays and expense and time of getting into Paris, etc. Book tickets yourself online - never buy thru any U.S. site like RailEurope - you can book online thru www.oui.sncf for up to three months in advance I think. Bring any food and beverage you want onboard -well the sites I give above will tell you about everything about trains you want to know and more!

gemini21 Jun 11th, 2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16744633)
You could even break up then journey if you wish to stay overnight in say Avignon or Lyon, etc. Weird to some folks 3 hours is too long on a train to others 6.5 ain't bad- those are very comfy trains - especially in first class and you see some pretty sweet countryside in between - flying you see little and airports can be a hassle with delays and expense and time of getting into Paris, etc. Book tickets yourself online - never buy thru any U.S. site like RailEurope - you can book online thru www.oui.sncf for up to three months in advance I think. Bring any food and beverage you want onboard -well the sites I give above will tell you about everything about trains you want to know and more!

Uhmm, that's a good idea! I've read about Lyon, Paul Bocuse?? Ohh! and that's why I like to take the trains because of the countryside I want to see it! ;)

PalenQ Jun 11th, 2018 03:08 PM

Paul's ***-Michelin restaurant is however well out in the burbs north of Lyon so a bit of a hassle to reach but Lyon is a fantastic city, known especially for its cuisine, to spend a half-day or so and has zillions of trains to Paris.

neckervd Jun 12th, 2018 07:05 AM

" Flying could be A LOT quicker of course"

Let's have a look:

BY TRAIN:
Barcelona Sants (city center) dp 9.25 - Paris Gare de Lyon city center ar 15.53 (6hrs 28 min)
Barcelona Sants (city center) dp 16.20 - Paris Gare de Lyon city center ar 22.45 (6hrs 25 min)

BY PLANE:
Barcelona Sants (city center) dp 10.09 - airport 10.26/12.20 - Paris CDG 14.15/15.14 - Chatelet les Halles (city center) ar 15.53 (5 hrs 44 min)
Barcelona Sants (city center) dp 15.39 - airport 15.56/17.55 - Paris CDG 19.50/20.41 - Chatelet les Halles (city center) ar 21.23 (5 hrs 44 min)

gemini21 Jun 12th, 2018 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16744649)
Paul's ***-Michelin restaurant is however well out in the burbs north of Lyon so a bit of a hassle to reach but Lyon is a fantastic city, known especially for its cuisine, to spend a half-day or so and has zillions of trains to Paris.

So my husband and I decided to include Lyon in our itinerary and spend 1 night before proceeding to Paris. Can you recommend a hotel centrally located where we can walk to restaurants and old town. I've seen Rick Steves shows and you tube channels. But coming from you would be great! Thanks PalenQ! My hotel budget would be $150-$200

PalenQ Jun 12th, 2018 07:15 AM

Sorry, have no knowledge of hotels in Lyon. But if you make a separate post about that some folks here surely will.

gemini21 Jun 12th, 2018 07:21 AM

Thank you neckervd. I'll take the train instead.:blush:

gemini21 Jun 12th, 2018 07:22 AM

Thank you. :blush:

PalenQ Jun 12th, 2018 09:46 AM

Guess train is no-brainer for anyone.