Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Barcelona to Madrid (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-barcelona-to-madrid-1011760/)

lstamu Apr 17th, 2014 12:30 PM

Train from Barcelona to Madrid

We are planning to train from Barcelona to Madrid. Do we have to go through security? How early do you have to get to the train station before you board? It looks like it would be cheaper to fly and - of course- a shorter trip- Is the train a fun experience? Thanks for all of the help!

adrienne Apr 17th, 2014 12:47 PM

Trains are lots of fun. I've had many memorable experiences in train stations and on trains.

Airports are hellish.

When you count the shorter trip you need to add in the extra time to get to the airport vs. the train station.

No security - there are few exceptions where you have security on European trains.

How early to get there? I'm of the view that the earlier the better. You can get your bearing if you're unfamiliar with the train station, pickup some snacks/lunch and beverages or a magazine. If you're not planning on looking around or buying anything then 10-15 minutes before the train leaves. Allow enough time to get to the station from your hotel. If you take a taxi there may be traffic on a weekday morning.

Read this.

http://seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#.U1A9fVeh7Vg

PalenQ Apr 17th, 2014 01:11 PM

You can get nifty discounts on train tickets at the Spanish Railways web site - www.renfe.com if you can get it to work for you - if an American that could be iffy but try.

AVE (high-speed) trains I've taken you do go thru some modicum of security - one reson for having to show up a bit early, unlike most European trains - I've seen metal detectors in use, especially after the Madrid Atocha station Basque terrorist bombing that killed so many in that station.

In addition to www.seat61.com that adrienne mentions two other sites I like for info are www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. The Pain in Spain Used to be on the Train but that was years ago - AVE trains - using French TGV technology - go at speeds of nearly 200 mph and are very comfy.

There is also an overnight train rolling between Barcelona and Madrid I think - save on the cost of a hotel and not miss any great scenery in between IME - kind of bleak like most of Spain's center.

aliced Apr 17th, 2014 02:13 PM

Took the AVE from Barcelona to Madrid, then continued; believe as this was the first leg, our tickets which had specified seats had to be first stamped in station before presentation to conductor aboard (we purchased here in States); therefore, we just decided at the end of one day in Barcelona to do a test run on times, etc., and had our tix stamped/validated then. Date of travel, no hassle or lines, or stress, just found our train # on the boards and showed up on the track. Relax on the train, listen to music, write in your travel journal, grab a coffee for train (better than what they'll sell). We did not do this with subsequent stations as arriving in same, got our bearings for departures few days later.

P_M Apr 17th, 2014 02:17 PM

My friend and I took the train from Barcelona to Madrid in 2012. We did walk through a metal detector and put our luggage through an X-ray machine but it was nothing like what you will go through at the airport. I don't remember anyone being ahead of us in line at security and it was really fast. I think we arrived at the station about 20 minutes before departure time.

The scenery isn't great but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the train. Seats on a train are much bigger and more comfy than a plane and bathrooms are nicer as well. The best thing about the train is you will go from one city center to another, saving you big bucks on cab fare. Although the train ride is longer than a plane ride your travel time will be about the same, as you won't have airport hassles such as long lines at check in, security and baggage claim.

clarkgriswold Apr 17th, 2014 02:18 PM

check the renfe website the day before your train trip to make certain that the train is not leaving two hours EARLY.

(don't get me started).

BigRuss Apr 17th, 2014 02:30 PM

<<There is also an overnight train rolling between Barcelona and Madrid I think - save on the cost of a hotel and not miss any great scenery in between IME>>

Don't take an 8-hour ride for a 3 hour trip - that's ridiculous. Just hop the AVE or take a Vueling flight. We went with the flight because the prices were so much less. The train is "fun" as it gets up to speed, after that, it's a means to an end. If you want a "fun" train ride, go from Madrid to Toledo because the ride's over by the time the trip becomes dull.

And if you're going to buy tickets at the station, you need to show up about 30 minutes early to ensure that you get on the train. They stop selling for the next train up about 15 minutes ahead of time. That's how we "missed" a train to Segovia.

P_M Apr 17th, 2014 02:38 PM

Big Russ brings up a good point about buying tickets, we bought ours a couple of weeks in advance which I believe is a lot cheaper. Our train ticket was just slightly higher than a plane ticket but overall we saved so much on cab fare it was worth it.

Man_in_seat_61 Apr 18th, 2014 01:21 AM

The plane will take 3 or even 4 hours. That's longer!

The high-speed train takes just 2h30. Centre to centre.

Go to www.renfe.com and book a Promo or Promo+ fare from around 45 euros.

If you have any trouble (e.g. card rejection) simply use www.loco2.com instead (same prices, same lack of any fee, easier to use, no card problems, though you don't get the seat selection option you'd get at renfe.com with any fare Promo+ and above)

Nobody flies this route any more, unless they are on business with a meeting near the airport or connecting with other flights.

Man_in_seat_61 Apr 18th, 2014 01:22 AM

I should add that there's a brief X-ray bag check at Spanish mainline stations. Takes 2 minutes, usually. So don't cut it too fine, but there's no formal check-in or check-in time, you just turn up, pass through the X-ray check into departures area, then board the train usually with a ticket check at the top of the escalator down to the platform.

PalenQ Apr 18th, 2014 04:37 AM

the discounted train tickets would be cheaper than flying I think - flying you have to get out to the airport and back in - trains go city center to city center in 2 hr 45 min on the fastest ones - rarely any delayed train like common in flying - no Icelandic volcano scrubbing trains!

Atocha station in Madrid is right in the heart of tourist Madrid.