Search

CT or Amalfi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CT or Amalfi

If you have been to both, which do you prefer? 2-4 full days. Young 20's and active so hiking is appealing, as well as beach and relaxing. just want to know which you had a better experience in?
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Apples and oranges..Tourists and more tourists, both places. CT has 5 towns relatively isolated from each other and hikeable, trainable or boatable. Spectacular vistas. Am. is a coastal area with all towns connected by narrow, twisty road much traffic, larger towns and equally spectacular but I guess I prefer CT. I only remember a beach in Monterossa (CT) and the rest shingle patches that are called beaches..Water shoes would be neccesary IMO.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM
ira

Hi em,

They are both lovely.

Where will you be in Italy?

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go to whichever is most convenient to the rest of your travels. Like picking a favorite child.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 03:04 PM

Don't expect much from beaches on the Mediterranean. Mostly they're rocky/pebbly.

The main thing to do in the CT is to move from very small town to very small town, on foot or by bus or train, spending a little time in each town. You could take the train to other destinations, like Portofino or Camogli. If you are traveling during high season, there are boats along the coast also. But off-season or in rainy weather, there's not much to do in the CT.

The Amalfi coast has more to do and see: Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples, Capri, Sorrento, Paestum, Mt. Vesuvius. The Amalfi Coast itself closes down in off-season. In which case, you're better off basing in Sorrento on the Gulf of Naples and just visiting the AC by bus. In season the buses along the AC are very crowded, but there are also boats between the coastal towns.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all...seems like a win win. Ira we are for sure visiting Rome and Florence...would like two days in Venice as well. We love water so wanted AC or CT as well.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're in Northern Italy then CT. The Amalfi coast would be too big a detour. I do however, prefer the AC to CT, can't see what the fuss is about with walking on paths crammed with people. (Although the AC is busy too!)
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 04:58 AM

We prefer the Cinque Terre as the Amalfi Coast seems a bit resorty to us. If you want the beach, however, the AC would be better. There isn't a lot to do in CT so 4 days seems like a long time. If you are hikers, there are enough trails around CT to keep you going but otherwise 2 days would be plenty.

Both are extremely scenic and very crowded.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 05:24 AM

I was in Cinque Terre about 4 years ago and while it was busy, I would not say it was as packed and crowded as expected. Certainly, while walking the trails you come across other people, but it definitely was not `crammed` by any stretch of the imagination. I found CT to be quite a nice break from cities, and VERY beautiful. I`ve never been to AC though.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:41 AM

If you are hesitant about crowds--which month will you be there?--I am sure there are other places along the coast that could fit the bill. If you post your full itinerary and if you will use car or public transport, someone can probably suggest a place (or several).
I was in CT a few years ago in May, and it was just not for me, the trail was consistently crowded, often with groups who looked miserable and had little concept of trail etiquette. The towns were mobbed. The same month I was just a little bit south in Montemarcello National Park and had a blissful few days of great hikes and charming towns with excellent food. A few miles can make a big difference.
I am heading to AC this year at the same time of year and staying in a small town. I am thinking--but not sure--that the trails will be relatively quiet because so many people ride the buses, take ferries, and drive the coastal road. We'll see!