Train from Appenzell to Zurich airport for flight home

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just about to purchase my plane tickets for trip to Switzerland. My return flight departs at 10:30 a.m. from Zurich International airport to the USA. I am staying in Appenzell with plan to take the first train I see scheduled from Appenzell at 6:33 a.m. on my day of departure to arrive by 8:15 a.m. to Zurich airport. Is this an unwise plan that is cutting it too close for my flight? If so, I would have to consider adding another day and staying the night in Zurich and flying out the following day. Also, if I get an 8 day Swiss flexipass and save my 8th day for this, would the train trip from Appenzell to Zurich be covered?
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Please disregard this question, since to have more train options available to me on my day of departure, I just successfully shifted my hotel reservations up by one day. Now I leave Appenzell to Zurich on a Friday instead of Saturday.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM

always always best IMO to stay in the departure city itself - never know when rails will be blocked by accident or a strike, etc.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM

8-day flexi - have you researched a 3-day flexipass instead as it could well be cheaper or if traveling by the end of November or in May then you can get a 2 for the price of 1 sale on 4-day Swiss Passes - either flexi or consecutive - two of those may be cheaper than an 8-day pass?

For lots on Swiss trains check out - www.swisstravelsystem.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com - all with great informative content IMO and not just the usual prices and a To Buy option.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM

why can a 3-day flexipass be better than an 8-day flexipass?

well because between the 1st and last or 3rd in this case flexipass 100% covered day you get 50% off everything that moves practically in Switzerland in between - so unless you are covering long distances on your 8 flexible travel days getting 50% off with the 3-day flexipass could well be for the average traveler a better deal.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Palen Q -- yes, my next decision is which pass to buy. I am staying for 8 nights in Lauterbrunnen, then taking train to Appenzell. I will stay 3 nights in Appenzell, and I should get a 3 day Appenzell card from the hotel to use for local transportation in that area (commonly given by the hotels for stays of 3 nights or longer).

I have no concept of the trains and cable cars I'll need in the Lauterbrunnen area for hiking around. I am not yet familiar with the trails or which trains/cables to use and how to figure out the cost of usage in the Lauterbrunnen area. So I do have to consider what you said about the 3-day flexipass over the 8-day pass. I guess with a 3 day pass, I'd use the 3 full days for 1. train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen, 2. train from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell, 3. train from Appenzell to Zurich? Please stay tuned -- I know I will have more questions regarding the passes.