Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Amsterdam Airport to Woerden (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-amsterdam-airport-to-woerden-1016789/)

Grover45 Jun 10th, 2014 03:32 PM

Train from Amsterdam Airport to Woerden

Hello - I am trying to figure out how to get from the Amsterdam airport to Woerden via train. I went on the RailEurope website but they didn't seem to have Woerden as a destination. It seems you can get to Ultrecht which is near - but not close enough. Any suggestions?

thanks!

ron Jun 10th, 2014 05:32 PM

Use the Netherland Rail website, http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

Dukey1 Jun 10th, 2014 05:39 PM

The route from Schiphol requires a change in Leiden

Grover45 Jun 10th, 2014 07:33 PM

Thank you so much!

hetismij2 Jun 11th, 2014 12:37 AM

It depends on which train you get at Schiphol - yes Leiden is an option, but so is Amsterdam Bijmer. NS.nl will tell you. Just make sure you get the right train at Schiphol.
Also if you are travelling in or after July you will pay €1 more for a loose ticket than is listed on the website due to NS going over to using the OV chipcard then.

If you are only making that one journey by public transport it isn't worth you getting an OV chipcard.

hetismij2 Jun 11th, 2014 12:37 AM

Amsterdam Bilmer Arena is the other station you can change at. Sorry for the typo.

hetismij2 Jun 11th, 2014 12:38 AM

And another typo. I do wish there was an edit function - BIJLmer is what it should be.

menachem Jun 11th, 2014 10:45 AM

Schiphol - Duivendrecht
Change to train to Rotterdam, via Bijlmer, Abcoude, Breukelen, Woerden.

PalenQ Jun 11th, 2014 10:49 AM

Just head to the Schiphol airport train station Information/ticket counter and ask which is the best for the next possible train and buy your ticket - which you may have to validate yourself before getting on the train - unless things have changed - stick it into a machine at entrance to escalators plunging down to the platforms or on the platforms - otherwise you will not have a valid ticket and could be fined and also forced to pay for another ticket.

Personnel at the Schiphol train station ticket window speak fluent English so just ask then - never know when a disruption to some train line so if unfamiliar with the system just ask - though you have been give great info by hetismij above.

PalenQ Jun 11th, 2014 12:27 PM

It takes almost exactly the same time by whichever route you go - either Schiphol to Leiden, changing to direct train to woerden

or Schiphol to Bijlmer Arena and then direct train to Woerden.

But ask info which route is next as the two different routes may cost different prices and thus a ticket for one route may not be valid if you take the other route - that's my impression anyway.

Amsterdam Bijlmer station is much smaller and easier IME to change trains at - Leiden Centraal station is quite large with many platforms so could be a bit flummoxing to a novice user.

There are train links from Schiphol bout every 20 minutes - one route then the other throughout the day - just go to the ticket window and ask which is the next route and buy your ticket. You could save a euro or so by using the automatic ticketing machine at Schiphol's train station but then you will not know which routing ticket to buy - best to ask a living human being!

menachem Jun 11th, 2014 01:07 PM

After july 1st this year there won't be any paper tickets from machines anymore.

You can ask for travel advice at a ticket window: they'll make a print out for you, if you ask. I don't think there's much price difference between the two routes.

PalenQ Jun 11th, 2014 01:09 PM

I don't think there's much price difference between the two routes.>

But you do have to have the correct route that you are taking right - you can't use a ticket for one route on the other I think so be sure you have the right ticket.

Grover45 Jun 11th, 2014 04:41 PM

You have all been so helpful! Thank you for the great advice! Most encouaging!