Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   train fares from Vienna o Salzburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-fares-from-vienna-o-salzburg-373118/)

Raymond Nov 1st, 2003 02:14 PM

train fares from Vienna o Salzburg

Can anyone tell me what is the train fares from Vienna to Salzburg, second class carriage ? Does it leave from the Western train station ?

JonJon Nov 1st, 2003 06:59 PM

Sorry, cannot help with fares but yes, the trains for Salzburg do leave from the Vienna Westbahnhof.

captbuzz Nov 1st, 2003 07:15 PM

The train ride is about 4hrs.
It costs anywhere between 60-40 dollars depending on the class of ticket. Good luck.

bob_brown Nov 1st, 2003 09:09 PM

I have ridden the train between Salzburg and Vienna, and reverse, several times. The trains leave from the Westbahnhof. The second class fare with no discount card is: 36.50€
the travel time varies with the train.
It can be as short as about 2:45 and as long as 3:21.

I have never had a problem finding a seat, but I am sure that trains leaving early as commuter type trains can be a little packed.

There is an Austrian rail schedule site, but it is mainly in German and a little hard to use.
If you want to take a look, the site is:
http://www.oebb.at/
If you read just a little German you can figure out the times. Just be sure you use German spellings, e.g. Wien
and not Vienna.

Raymond Nov 13th, 2003 08:12 PM

Thnaks Bob for your info. I found that website hard to use without knowledge of German. Do you know what is the discount fares for youth holding a ISIC (International Student Identity Card). I have a 16 YO son travelling with us. The local travel agent only handles normal adult tickets.

I assume travel on Christmas Day should be fairly quiet especially if we decide to take the early train eg 9.30 am, and there is no need to make a reservation.

Kristinelaine Nov 13th, 2003 09:45 PM

An excellent train site for most of Europe is: reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e
(THere is no www.)
It doesn't give prices outside of Germany, but it is in English and has all the trains, or so it seems to me.

Raymond Nov 14th, 2003 02:08 AM

Bob

The fares you quoted 36.50 EURO for 2nd class, is that one way or return fares ?

What is the discount for youth, about 50% off ?

Kristinelaine Nov 14th, 2003 01:42 PM

It sounds like a one-way fare to me. I don't know about youth prices. Sorry!

bob_brown Nov 14th, 2003 02:29 PM

I agree that Austrian site is not easy to use even if you read a little German.
I have a big fat German-English dictionary and I have looked up most of the terms I did not know, and I still scratch my head.

I quoted earlier were one way and were without discount. Sorry I did not say.
In some cases there may be an add on for a fast train.
I took a train once from Vienna to Munich. The Austrian conductor said nothing when he punched the ticket, but once it became a German train, the conductoress wanted an extra fee for an ICE train.

For a youth age 6 - 14, the fare one way Vienna West to Salzburg without a special card is 18.30

The German I read says this: für 1 Person zwischen 6 und 14 Jahre einfache Fahrt 2 Klasse kostet 18.30 Euro
My translation: For one person between 6 and 14 a one way ticket in 2nd class costs 18.30.

That is about the most I can beat out of that thing. Perhaps a native level speaker could knock out a little more helpful information.

Sorry to be slow to reply and I hope this helps. I failed to see your request until now.

Raymond Nov 21st, 2003 01:58 AM

I just received an email response back from Austrian Railways after I sent them an email enquiring about discount for youths.

They kindly suggested to me that they have a special fare, translated loosely into English, means one plus free fares, in which the first passenger pays full fares, and the remaining passengers pay half fares. So the one way fares 2nd class works out to Euro 76 for the three of us. This is about Euro 50 cheaper than my local travel agent quoted me, and about Euro 33 cheaper than the normal fares. So I am happy.