Search

Train Confusion: Heathrow to York

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Confusion: Heathrow to York

Dear Fodorites,

My wife and I are flying into Heathrow. We have purchased a two flexipasses, but aren't quite sure which legs of our trip from Heathrow to York are covered.

We are assuming that the Heathrow Express is covered. We are not sure if the tube from Paddington to Kings Cross is covered. Also, we are not quite clear on whether or not we should reserve a seat. Finally, we are curious about the Sunday upgrade to first class. Is this true, and if so could someone specificly explain the process to me. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 07:43 PM
ron

The flexipass is good on all trains you use on each calendar day that you use it, so it would be good on the Heathrow to Paddington and King's Cross to York trains. London transport is not part of the national rail system, so you would have to buy tickets for the Paddington to King's Cross journey.

If they are offering a cheap upgrade to 1st class on the train to York, they will likely announce it over the PA system on the train before or upon departure. If they don't, ask the conductor.

Generally, I wouldn't think you would need a seat reservation on a Sunday morning, but you never know. On that day, there could be some event that would have a mass of people travelling for some reason. Get one if it is convenient and you know which train you are going to catch. It has been years since I have used a flexipass (advance purchase restricted tickets which come with automatic reservations are so much cheaper I have learned), but I remember they used to cost if booked from Canada, and I seemed to get them for trains they weren't needed on and not get them where they were needed.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:18 PM
Andrewmac

The upgrade to First Class is known as Weekend First and as the name suggests is only available on a Saturday or Sunday when business travellers are less likely to be using the trains. I think the cost of the upgrade from King's Cross to York is £10 per person and is only good for that leg of the journey. If you want it for the return leg you would have to pay again. It will normally be announced on departure whether there are any Weekend First seats available (normally Coach 'M') - just walk down, grab a seat and pay the ticket inspector when you see him/her. While on the subject of GNER's coach numbers, go for Coach 'D' if you don't want to be bothered by the noise of mobile phones, and steer clear of Coach 'B' if cigarette smoke bothers you. Finally, I would always reserve a seat if possible as the main-line trains can get very busy at any time. Also, be prepared for delays when travelling at weekends as a lot of maintenance work is carried out on the rail network then. Welcome to Britain and enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Any thoughts on the time it will take to get off the plane, through customs, have our railpasses validated, then actually board the Heathrow Express? Also, is it relatively clear where to go to get to the Express, where to have tickets validated, et. al?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM
ron

If you are arriving at terminal 3 and are a fairly brisk walker, it should take about an hour from the time the plane door opens 'til you to get to the Heathrow Express station. The route is well-signed; BAA, the owners of Heathrow Airport, spent £440 million building the Heathrow Express and they really, really want people to use it. For most of the way, you follow the same tunnel as to the tube station.

i have not validated a pass there, so can't answer that part of the question.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:57 AM

I phoned the train operating company, and the supplement is just 15 pounds. I must say it delighted me, with free tea or coffee, cake or biscuit, and newspapers, all much like Pullman car travel forty years ago.

Welcome to England

[email protected]
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:32 AM

Do yourselves a favor and just take the Airbus from Heathrow to Kings Cross Station. It takes over an hour but it's much easier than changing from express train at Paddington and then taking the tube or taxi to Kings X. The Airbus stops right at your train station and there's less schlepping of luggage.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM

Once again, I'll say I don't get the idea of two people taking the Heathrow Express then transferring to Paddington by taxi. For the same cost or even LESS you can be met by a car service (Just Airports on line or Swiss Cottage Cars if you CALL them) which will take you directly from Heathrow to Paddington, and counting the transfer times, you will probably arrive just as quickly at Paddington with a lot less hassle. I suppose hee_hee_hee's suggestion is also good and probably even cheaper.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:22 PM

Duh, except now I realize you are talking about "free" tickets on the Express with your train pass, so maybe that makes some sense, just more effort.