Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Brussels to Amsterdam & Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-brussels-to-amsterdam-and-hotels-136251/)

Maureen Jan 3rd, 2003 07:53 AM

Train Brussels to Amsterdam & Hotels

I will be visiting Brussels first part of May 2003. I am female traveling alone and need to meet my tour group for a River Trip in Amsterdam. To I need to make advance train reservations and buy by ticket in advance to get to Amsterdam? I don't want to take a chance on not arriving on time for my tour. <BR>Also does anyone have any advice on hotels in Brussels and or Amsterdam. Not too expensive but in a neighborhood easy to get around in to see the city.<BR>Thanks if anyone can help me with this.

Not again Jan 3rd, 2003 10:28 AM

Maureen,<BR><BR>If you will do a &quot;text search&quot; at the top of this page for Brussels/Amserdam, you will have more information than you will need.<BR><BR>Sort through it (this is called doing some &quot;homework&quot;), then come back with more specific questions (ie. &quot;Which is better...Hotel A or Hotel B&quot;, etc.)<BR><BR>Not again

xxx Jan 3rd, 2003 09:15 PM

Maureen,<BR><BR>Unlike the others on this forum, I will answer the questions (or as many as I can) directly without directing you to &quot;search the forum&quot;. I don't know if these hotel recommendations fit into your budget but I have stayed at the Hotel Amigo in Brussels (just steps from the Grand Place) and Die Port Van Cleve in Amsterdam. Both are clean, comfortable and well located in each city. I hope that this is helpful to you. Enjoy your trip! <BR><BR>Poster &quot;Not Again&quot; needs find another forum if a post asking for help bothers them to the point of rudeness. This is truly my newest pet peeve!!!

Maureen Jan 3rd, 2003 09:29 PM

Thanks for your help as I am a senior citizen need all the help I can get.

Casey Jan 4th, 2003 04:27 AM

Maureen.<BR>For the train travel, you do not have to make a reservation. If you where to leave from Brussels Central station, there is a train every hour starting around 7 AM. Go to www.ns.nl for the info you need. It gets you to the Dutch Railway site. It starts in Dutch but you can go to there Enghlis version.<BR><BR>As for Hotels, whats your budget ?

jen Jan 4th, 2003 05:33 AM

Maureen, if you search this forum using 'Amsterdam hotel' you will find lots and lots of recommendations, many with location and price description. Try the same search for Brussels. Many hotels can be booked via their own website. You might want to ask if they have an elevator if you anticipate having trouble with stairs. Many, many hotels in Amsterdam are extremely well-located and charming, so I hope you enjoy searching!

Maureen Jan 4th, 2003 10:00 AM

Thank you all for your replies it's been a big help.

Grasshopper Jan 4th, 2003 10:06 AM

Maureen, Amsterdam hotels can be very expensive. My favorite is Hotel Fita www.fita.nl It is in the Museum district and an easy walk to the Leidspeine. It's also very easy to take the tram from there to other important areas. Breakfast is included and there is a lovely little breakfast room.<BR><BR>I travel alone to Amsterdam quite a lot and it's very safe. The people at the Fita are wonderful to me.

Alice Jan 4th, 2003 01:46 PM

<BR>Atlas Hotel, Rue du vieux March&eacute; aux Grains 30, Brussels 1000<BR>– this might be classified as a ‘business’ hotel, was very nice and had a large bedroom and huge bathroom (by Euopean standards) situated off an internal courtyard. This one was very nice and I would recommend to anyone (115 Euro/double). The bedroom had plenty of space to maneuver around the beds, a desk/chair unit, and two armchairs. There was a small foyer with a full-length mirror and a closet/cupboard. The bath was a tub with shower, gleaming fixtures, and plenty large. The location was good, about 2 blocks the opposite side of the Bourse from the Grand Place, ie. walk past Bourse to get to Grand Place. The only unfortunate thing here was so much road construction, but that’s the way it goes. <BR>They were very good with booking over their website, and with emails...<BR>http://www.atlas-hotel.be/atlas/default.html

Maureen Jan 4th, 2003 05:01 PM

Thanks again all I have been busy checking out your suggestions. This trip is looking better to me now.

bru Jan 6th, 2003 07:17 AM

Maureen,<BR><BR>You should know that there are two types of trains that go between Brussels and Amsterdam. There is a fast train called the Thalys for which you need a reservation. The regular trains do not require reservations.<BR><BR>The Thalys does not run very often between Brussels and Amsterdam (as compared to the Brussels-Paris route) and does not cost much more. However, it is not that much faster either. The difference is usually only about 20 minutes for a trip of more than 2 hours.<BR><BR>If you are not in a hurry, it might be easier for you to just get a ticket for the regular train when you get to the station. If you take the Thalys also be aware that this train leaves only from Brussels-Midi station while the regular trains should also stop at Brussels-Centrale and Brussels-Nord.<BR><BR>As for hotels, I can recommend the Hotel Manos and the Manos Stephanie which are near Place Louise south of the inner city. Both are very nice hotels and quite reasonable, although not as centrally located as the Amigo (for example).