Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train between Paris & Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-between-paris-and-venice-777447/)

TPAYT Apr 6th, 2009 01:00 PM

Train between Paris & Venice

Just starting to plan our annual Sept. European vacation. We always either begin or end in Paris, our favorite city.

This year we'd like to add 5-7 days in Venice. Is there any difference in taking the train from Paris to Venice or the reverse? Which do you prefer? Is 5 days in Venice enough,or too much?

Also do you prefer flying into Paris and home from Venice or the reverse?

adrienne Apr 6th, 2009 02:02 PM

5 days in Venice is never too much! I'd go for it.

I prefer flying to the farthest destination (Venice) and then flying home from the closer destination. Your first day is pretty much taken up with arriving and getting over jet lag and I rather spend the extra flying time the first day rather than the last. I've not flown home from Venice but I've read that the flights from there to the US are very very early.

Why would you take the train rather than fly, connecting in Paris. If you take the train (12 hours) you would arrive in Paris in the morning, spend the day there (checking your luggage at the train station) and then take a night train. The alternative is to take the first train after you arrive in Paris and arrive in Venice in the middle of the night (yuck!!).

I've done both and would recommend flying Paris to Venice and then back to Paris. If you really want the train experience then start in Venice (fly Paris to Venice) and then return to Paris by night train. Bring food and water with you.

notbob Apr 6th, 2009 03:28 PM

You'll get replies all over the map on Venice, but 5-7 days in Venice would be a good start. ;-) Venice is a wonderful magical place and any time spent there is never enough for us.

I'd suggest flying into Venice. Marco Polo airport is smaller and easy to navigate. Plus I think Venice is a good place to recover from the flight over.

It is about 12 hours on the train and I believe that you can do an overnight one. If you decide to fly, remember that many of the budget carriers fly out of Treviso instead of Marco Polo. (about an hour bus ride) and I think that most do not fly into CDG. Be sure to double check your connections if you opt to fly.

Otherwise, the train station in Venice is easy to get to.

Guenmai Apr 8th, 2009 12:31 PM

I just got off the plane from Venice a few hours ago and am back in Paris right now. I would fly. A Parisian friend,who went on vacation with me to Venice, paid 160 euros round trip for his plane ticket, from Paris. We were on Air France. The Venice airport is very small, easy, and very nice and it only takes about an hour and forty-five minutes to fly to Paris. I stayed at a friend's condo,in Treviso, and personally if I had to stay in a hotel, I'd stay in Treviso,a lovely small city. We took the train into Venice two days in a row and it costs 3,40 Euros round trip and takes 30 minutes. We were very happy to get back to Treviso after being in all of the crowds of Venice for two days. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Apr 8th, 2009 12:44 PM

I forgot to add, if you plan to do a gondola from the Grand Canal, then bargain. We were 3 and the guy first wanted 80 Euros. One of my friends walked away and went into a nearby hotel and asked what a fare price would be. I stayed outside and bargained and as I was walking away the guy yelled out 70 Euros. We took it as we were told it was a fair price. The tour lasted 30 minutes and to tell the truth I wasn't impressed. I liked the public boat,52, from in front of the train station, over to Ospadale stop, the hospital, in Castello area much better and I think it was 6,50 Euros. We were on our way to Al Mascarone Trattori which was GREAT! Happy Travels!

Palenque Apr 8th, 2009 01:04 PM

You may want to visit www.voyages-sncf.com and www.trenitalia.com and see which one will give you a cheaper fare - this train - Artesia Night has a 'global fare' structure - meaning like an airline with wildly varying fares - the farther in advance you book the cheaper you can get - even fares absurdly low like $50 including sleeping berth - full fare may cost thrice as much. And then decide which way to go based on what is available.

Guenmai Apr 8th, 2009 01:14 PM

Correction- Mascaron Osteria, not Trattoria, and at Calle Longa Santa Maria Formosa 5225. I didn't have the business card in front of me when I typed the above. Happy Travels!

TPAYT Apr 10th, 2009 09:36 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. We've always enjoyed the train, but didn't realize it was that many hours between Paris & Venice so will now look at flying also.

This is just the beginning of our planning. We go to Paris every Sept. and like to add something new. Also considering a Venice to Rome cruise(Windsurf or Oceania) and then a few days in Paris at the end. Another alternative is Paris then Capri for 5 days. Such a beautiful world to explore & so little time.

I love all the planning as it adds months to your trip. So now I'll start reading the trip reviews in depth.