Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train a good value in Great Britain and Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 11:13 AM
afindley

I am going to Scotland, Ireland and England in March. I have looked into the BritRail/Ireland Rail pass. I am wondering if this can get me in to the smaller towns or if I will wind up spending a lot of extra money on local trains and buses that are not covered by the rail pass? Thanks in advance for your help! <BR>

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 06:05 AM
Nigel Doran

<BR>As far as I know, the BritRail pass is good for all trains. If you plan on doing a lot of travelling by rail, it would be good value. Train tickets can be expensive here unless you book ahead for Apex seats, and that is not practical when you are on holiday. Once on the trains, they usually represent good value though. The East Coast Main Line, from London King's X to Aberdeen is very good, with trains travelling through York, Durham and Edinburgh at up to 140 mph. The Virgin network goes across the country from top left to bottom right, and also up the West Coast, and also offers high speed trains. Beware though, as some can get very busy and delays are getting more common on some routes. <BR>If you don't get a BritRail pass, always try to book ahead; recognise that single tickets {1 way} are dearer than return tickets; day returns are cheaper than if you travel back the next day or the day after etc.; ALWAYS check the restrictions on the ticket so as to avoid a fine; and if in doubt, ask the ticket clerks for the best option for you! <BR>P S Don't miss Wales out of the itinerary if possible! North Wales is especially good to visit

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 09:57 AM
Richard

Depending on how you plan your itinerary, I think the BritRail Classic or Flexipass is a good deal. The rail system in Ireland leaves a lot to be desired, the bus system is much better. If you're not intimidated by a stick shift and right hand steering, a car is the ideal way to see Ireland (we did it on bikes, but that's another story). Do try to see Wales, as Nigel suggested, it's our favorite part of G.B.

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 02:42 AM
Trina

I did a trip via the rails this past summer throughout England & Scotland and found it to be much cheaper than the cost of renting a car & paying for gas. It also can cut travel time in half - i.e. London to Edinburgh via car is estimated to take 7-8 hours, while by train it only took us 4. <BR> <BR>We had a 7 day pass, (I forget the exact name) that was good for all of England & Scotland main train systems, but we had to purchase tube tickets in London. Most of the other places we visited were accessible on foot, short cab rides, or buses. We didn't pay much out of pocket, though. I guess it is going to depend on your preferences. It took a lot out of us because we were basically backpacking and had to do a lot of walking. But we loved every minute of it and it gave us a great chance to interact with the locals. <BR> <BR>I've kept records of our itenerary & costs. Feel free to Email me directly if you'd like more info!

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 05:31 AM
lenny

<BR>...