Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Traffic in Italy on August 15 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/traffic-in-italy-on-august-15-a-370392/)

denise8101214 Jun 1st, 2008 08:05 AM

Traffic in Italy on August 15

We are planning on flying out of Rome (FCO) on August 15, national holiday, Feast of Assumption. Our current plans have us staying near Arezzo the ngiht of August 14.

Is traffic terrible on such a holiday? How much time should we allow? I am trying to make a 12:45 flight.

Thank you for any advice.

Jean Jun 1st, 2008 08:27 AM

Viamichelin.com estimates the driving time at about 2.5 hours. You also need to add time for returning the car and getting to the terminal. If your flight is to the U.S., I think you should get to the terminal AT LEAST 2 hours before your flight.

So, holiday or not, this means leaving near Arezzo very early. Factor in possible holiday traffic, the fact that it's August and the ever-present chance of a problem/accident on the A1. If it were my trip, I'd spend the last night closer to the airport. Orvieto would be nice.

denise8101214 Jun 1st, 2008 10:27 AM

Thank you Jean, for the website and the help. I really appreciate it.

Steve_James Jun 2nd, 2008 01:38 AM

Hi Denise - Don't even THINK of driving on that date - from Arezzo, Orvieto - or anywhere else.

Your only sensible plan is to stay your last night in Rome and take the train to FCO.

Half of Italy will be travelling on 15 Aug. You have been warned :)

Steve

denise8101214 Jun 2nd, 2008 08:02 AM

OK - I'm happy to take the warnings!

Thank you Jean and Steve.

We are a group of five, returning a rental car at FCO. I found Hotel Motel Corsi on venere.com. Maybe we should drive there the night of August 14 and return car to FCO in the morning? I also considered returning the car on August 14 and staying the night at the FCO Hilton. But I am looking for the more economical choice.

Should I also expect a long ride the evening of August 14? Time will be less critical however.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2008 12:34 PM

Hello denise, I am not familar with it but other Fodorites have commented on a Holiday Inn that is very close to the airport and they evidently have a shuttle bus (not sure of the hours but with your 12:45pm flight that should not be a problem). It is suppose to be less expensive then the Hilton and I believe it has a swimming pool if memory serves me right.

suz123nj Jun 2nd, 2008 12:58 PM

Spend day in Rome on Ssumption day. Everything is closed and track was next to nothing. People walked on main streets.

denise8101214 Jun 3rd, 2008 06:32 AM

Thank you all!

denise8101214 Aug 19th, 2008 05:42 PM

Follow up:

We drove south to Rome the night of August 14th, no traffic, and stayed at the Hilton at FCO. Got to the airport with no worries in the morning, ...and of course the flight was delayed.

Missing Italy intensely.