trafalgar spanish wonder tour

Nov 3rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

trafalgar spanish wonder tour

Hi All,

I just recently booked on this tour. However, I am wondering if anybody else has had any experience with this tour or company? i just turned 30 and though i was thinking of going on a contiki tour, this tour had dates that best fit my schedule. I am a bit worried that I will be the only single on the trip or non senior citizen. Does anybody have any experiences to share?

Thanks
Nov 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM

Well you definitely won't be the only single. Lots of singles take tours.

But you will likely be the youngest or nearly so. And not just because fewer 30-40 years olds take tours in general, but because Trafalgar is a good/higher cost (not posh/high end but high-ish end) company and it attracts mostly older/retired folks w/lots of disposable income.

There will probably be some 40-somethings -- but every tour's make up is unique so you might luck out.
Nov 3rd, 2010, 06:44 AM

Trafalgar is a reputable company and we can talk average age, probable, you just never know what a particular tour will have.

Unlike Globus, trafalgar caters to a somewhat more international client base and you get a lot of young Australians and New Zealanders on these tours so that part should be fine.

I took this tour in April 2007 and I will be frank....it was not the best Trafalgar tour I ever took but that really wasn't Trafalgar's fault. I just was not impressed with Spain. I athought both Madrid and Barcelona seemed to be full of thieves and pickpoickets, more so than many other Eurtopean cities and countries I have been in. I thought the food was disgusting. Now tour food is usually not the greatest but usually it is edible. On this tour, it wasn't even that. The tour director was great and we did see everything in the itinerary but like I said, of all the tours and places I have been, and I've been to and done many, Spain was by far my least favorite.

But that doesn't mean you won't like it.
Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM

how encouraging! i hope YOU, kaydewd, have a better time! yikes!
Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM

A friend of mine took this tour and said it was whirlwind, hardly got to really see anything and also could not eat the food. He'll never take a tour again because of this bad experience.
Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM

Let me just put it this way and I'll try not to offend anybody because this is just my personal opinion. I do travel to Europe quite a bit and most of my trips have been to more or less countries in the Northern or Central part of Europe such as the UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Scandanavia, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland and I enjoyed all of them and felt reasonably safe although believe me I undderstand pickpockets and petty thieves are everywhere. I felt a tad less safe in Italy and didn't like for example the shouting and pushing that goes on in trying to order a sandwich at an Autogrill but atleast they made up for it with the food. I never had any problems on tours I did of any of the above countries and I am sure I may be leaving some out. Again, that's me...

In Spain, on the Wonders of Spain tour, I felt completely different, especially in Madrid and Barcelona. As a matter of fact, on the coach heading for the airport at the end of the tour, the TD congratulated us as being the first group she had had where there wasn't a single instance of pickpocketing or petty larceny or whatever. She waited till the end of the tour. To me, sorry folks I don't mean to offend but to me Spain almost felt like a third world country in terms of tourist conveniences, crime and the food. But many people have told me I'm wrong about it so I don't want you to take this as definitely don't do the tour because, as I said, Trafalgar is basically quite a reputable company and their tours usually are very good.

Now I await the flaming that I've almost surely laid myself open for.
Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

wow thanks for the responses & heads-up. i will definitely more conscious about pick pockets. it's funny because i was just talking to a friend who went to spain (on her own w/o a tour group) who had a fantastic time & highly recommended the country. regardless, i am looking forward to seeing new sights and experiencing a different culture.
Nov 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM

Gee, I'd really try to reconfigure this. Contiki is WAY more your speed as a 30 y.o. First, as a young woman, the Contiki tours are good because there are usually more women than men so you can wander in groups together, have girl bonding, blah blah blah. Second, the Contiki tours are geared toward younger audiences, not the oldies that take the Trafalgar or (good gosh) Globus tours and use the empty bus seats for their walkers. Third, the preposterous number of Aussies that jump on the Contiki tours means you'll not suffer many dull moments, especially if there are single Aussie guys -- they will drink their weight. Fourth, the Contiki tours do tend to offer a decent amount of "on your own" time to wander about and piddle.

That said, the included dinners they offered on the Spain tour I took sucked. But as my old man always says "I never had a bad meal in Italy."

Barcelona is pickpocket heaven. Do a search -- there is a website dedicated to the various scams in Barca. A couple of them once tried to do a bump and run on my old man at an escalator on the metro (one stopped at the top, another to come up behind pop when he would have to work around the stalled person). He was just a sprightly late 60s/early 70s and kicked the stopped one in the arse, yelled at him to move away and chuckled as the buddy came running up the escalator and both buggered off.