Tracking down Twilight - visit to Montepulciano & Volterra

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trip report from our April visit to the Tuscan towns associated with the movie New Moon is up (many parents/grandparents of teen girls on here may know why this movie is a big deal!). We went to Volterra and Montepulciano on a trip that included Rome as well. Take a look on my blog here:

http://www.caroundtheworld.com/twilight-in-tuscany/

As always, happy to answer any questions!
Chris
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Good stuff, Chris !
Also two of my favorite places in Tuscany.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your report! I do have a question, actually : where did you sign up for the Twilight tour in Volterra? Do you have any information on it?

We're spending the next month in Florence, and although I'm not a teenager, I am in love with the Twilight series (does it help that I teach teenagers?!). My husband is terribly embarrassed by this and it will take some huge favors on my part to get him to sign up for such a tour.

Any way that you still have the information and can just tell me where I need to go when I'm in Volterra to avoid my husband's embarrassment?
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Stonest -

Thanks for reading! I would contact the Volterra tourism board. They are the ones who were arranging the tours. The webpage is http://www.volterratur.it/lang/eng/index_eng.asp - this is the English version. Their email address is on that page. When I was there in April, they had a woman there who spoke (and wrote) very good English - so someone should be able to help.

And do not be embarrassed! While I don't love the books, I got the idea to go from my best friend who is obsessed with Twilight - and she's 40! And many of the people on the tour were well past their teenage years.

Enjoy your month in Florence (what's not to love about that?)

Chris
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks, Chris!

I am loving Florence and you're right, there's NOTHING not to love about that! We've been here for two weeks already and have four more to go - it's amazing how in love with this city we are. I'm having a difficult time wanting to go anywhere else.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

My story from the Volterra/Montepulciano trip has now been published. You can read it online at http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ra-italy_N.htm
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Wow--great article Chris---I saw it it first thing this AM.
It was also sent to me by email from Cinzia--I am on their mailing list. Are you a free-lance writer or on USA staff?
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Bob -

I'm on staff as the editor; I run the section and manage reporters and coverage. Occasionally they let me out of the office though (am in Grenada right now). I'm glad Cinzia is sending it out...she's a lot of fun. Thanks for reading!

Chris
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Hmmm ! You just get the best assignments--is that it?
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Bob - Actually, it's almost the opposite. I tend to do stories that the others don't want. Italy was an exception, but none of them knew about Twilight.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Great stuff, Chris. Thx for sharing.

I am, yet another 40-something with a twilight obsessed teenager trapped inside of me. Now I have another reason to go back to Italy. Those darn lists keep getting longer and longer.....

I thought for sure that those lovely Tuscan hilltowns would have to find a way to capitalize on the twilight popularity. Similar to that of the "Sex and the City" tours that cropped up all over NYC.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Chris,

I just read your bio. You must have the most fabulous job and your DH travels with you as your photographer?

Mamma mia....can I live vicariously through you?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Adventureseeker -

Yep, it's a nice gig and I'm happy to have it. I've been in the newspaper business for 20 years now and worked at four papers in different capacities - this position is by far my favorite. I wish I was on the road more often, but someone has to run things in the office.

My husband comes with me when he can, but we pay his way (and he has to use vacation time) so it doesn't always work out. I went to Grenada solo to work on my story, for example, but then he met me in nearby St. Vincent for a week of R&R in the Grenadines.

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to seeing New Moon, if only to see how Montepulciano looks in the film!

Chris