Trabzon, Samsun and Rize This Week

Dec 1st, 2013, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Trabzon, Samsun and Rize This Week

Hello all,
I'm in Ankara at present. I have a few days to explore and am wondering if its worthwhile visiting Trabzon and/or Samsun and/or Rize in the next few days.

I've been told that these are great places to visit however my concerns are as follows:
1. Weather - as of now the forecast for Trabzon is sunny but chilly on Wed, Thur, Fri. I prefer sunshine because I can get great photos. The cold I can deal with. Clouds and/or rain would be a deal-breaker. Haven't checked the weather for the other places yet.
2. Being off season, would the local transportation be limited or non-existent - for example if I wanted to visit Sumela Monastery, would it be difficult to get there by public transportation?

I'm thinking of getting there by bus - maybe an overnight one considering the travel time.

I am traveling solo and a budget traveler as well. Photography is my main interest.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, recommendations etc.
Thank you all in advance.
Dec 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM

Have not checked the weather forecast.

- If there is no precipitation, you will enjoy it.

- Forget Samsun unless you combine it with Amasya which is another interesting location together with Corum. (try Iskilip Dolmasi, a meat and rice dish at Corum and avoid the infinite varieties of "leblebi")

- It is easy to combine Trabzon and Rize. rental car would be great but bus and/or dolmus would get you where you wish to go easily also.

- Transportation to Sumela monastery from Trabzon to Carsamba and from Carsamba to the monastery will be easily available.

- Should try to get to Sumela about noon when any possible fog or mist has lifted.

- Rize itself has nothing to offer but the vcalleys of "Ikizdere" and Camlihemsin are both great. Even one of them will be worth it.

- I am not sure if you can get to Uzun Gol or will wish to

- If weather is good, getting further up to Ayder summer pastures from Camlihemsin may be tempting but may be a disappointment because of extreme touristic pollution.

- One more day could get you to Borcka and Borcka Kara Gol from Hopa, but there you may start facing transportation problems to get to the lake from Borcka in this season since there will be no public transport and the five kilometers or so from the main road may have already become unpassable due to mud and rain.

- If you have not done it, you may also consider Hattusas and Alacahoyuk as an alternative to the Black Sea trip. I found the Alacahoyuk and the Yazili Kaya ruins especially rewarding.
Dec 2nd, 2013, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

otherchelebi: Thanks so much for your detailed and helpful response. Trabzon is definitely on but I will have to think about the other places you mentioned. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond in such detail. Thanks again.

Search this Thread