Cambridge: Real English Food

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a few months I'll be visiting Cambridge, England, for the first time. I'm interested in finding a city center restaurant or pub that serves English dishes such as bangers and mash, fish pie, bubble and squeak, etc.

On the <visitcambridge.org> website I found two city center restaurants, Brown's and 1 King's Parade. Any comments on these?

Any pubs and fish & chips places to recommend?

Bill in Connecticut
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM

ion1122--

Ahh...I just replied to your other post on Cambridge day trips!

I have eaten at both these places, and both within the past month. We LOVE Browns. My parents visited us this summer and we took them too and they also loved it. The steak pie is to die for with a nice flaky crust. They also have a fish pie that my DH raves about. We always let the waiters pick our desserts and have not been disappointed. Kings Parade is good too and a little more fancy. I prefer the food at Browns but love the ambiance at Kings Parade.

Pubs...I could go on and on. There are so many. The Eagle is a good stop, right in center city. Although it is touristy it has surprisingly decent food. We also liked The Globe on St. Andrews. (Try the onion pole and bangers and mash!)

We really liked the pub The Flying Pig (near the train station). Next door is another pub that serves delicious Thai food. I know that sounds strange but it is true.

I really love the food in Cambridge actually. Indian food is delicious there too--we have tried about a dozen of them over the course of 3 summers and have not been disappointed. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Hope you have a great trip! I will post my trip report soon--maybe it will give you some ideas.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM

ion1122 (or Bill in CT),

Here is a link to my trip report if you are still interested, it is almost completed!

http://tinyurl.com/kag6j

Have fun.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, StephCar. My wife and I both enjoyed your thoughful trip report.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Brown's is a bit more upscale than what I think you are looking for. Try the Anchor pub on Sliver Street - and save time either before or afterwards to rent a punt in front of the pub to punt along the river Cam through the "backs" of the colleges. It is the best way to enjoy some of Cambridge's prettiest scenery.