Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tower of London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tower-of-london-186374/)

marlib1951 Jan 4th, 2005 05:22 AM

Tower of London

I am working on a itinerary for London. I read somewhere that it would be less crowded to visit the Tower of London on a weekday rather than a weekend. Any comments? Is it six of one and a half dozen of the other? Is there six hundred visitors on Sat. and only five hundred on Monday? I planned Windsor and Eton for a Monday and the Tower for a Saturday. Should I switch days? Original London Walks have tours to Windsor only on Monday or Saturday. So Windsor needs to be on one of those days.

highledge Jan 4th, 2005 05:44 AM

weekdays are less crowded than weekends. But the most crucial factor is what time of day you go. Earlier is best!!! If you go when it opens it will be less crowded. The first time I took my kids we got there when it opened, went directly to see the jewels then took in the rest of the tower. By the time we left the was a noticable difference in the number of people.

ira Jan 4th, 2005 05:48 AM

Hi mar,

Highledge has it right.

((I))

adamhornets Jan 4th, 2005 07:22 AM

Definately get there early and remember that you can buy your entrance tickets from most tube stations and some hotels.

jonldn Jan 4th, 2005 07:28 AM

Agree 100% pre book your tickets and make sure you head straight for the jewel tower as soon as you get in!

The beefeater tour can be quite fun thing to do after your visit to the Jewel House. (free but you tip the Beefeater a few pounds at the end)

When you are down by the tower you can cross over Tower Bridge and visit the Belfast Warship if you want - it is also a nice walk down the south bank to central London if you have time.

Hope you enjoy your visit

John

laurie_ann Jan 4th, 2005 07:32 AM

When my husband was going to be there on business last year, I was able to order tickets in advance to the Tower from their website. They were delivered by mail to us in the U.S. They were good for any day of the year. Can't remember if there was a small premium to order in advance but it beats waiting in line to purchase. Enjoy planning your trip!

Kayb95 Jan 4th, 2005 07:32 AM

Windsor is a very easy trip to do on your own if you want a little more flexibility in your schedule (and you'll save money.) It's about a 40 minute train ride from Waterloo station. Once in Windsor, it is very walkable and you can't miss the castle.

janis Jan 4th, 2005 07:35 AM

Follow everyone's advice - weekday mornings are best - or if you must go on a weekend go on Sat. Other than Bank Holidays, Sundays are the most crowded. Your idea about 600 people MIGHT be right for a midweek Feb visit in a near blizzard. But most of the year count on 15-20,000 and many more on a warm summer weekend.

Also - you don't need Original London Walks to get to Windsor. You can easily do Windsor/Eton on your own any day of the week . . . . . .

janis Jan 4th, 2005 07:40 AM

I was writing at the same time kayb95 was posting - do consider our suggestion to do Windsor on your own. Not only willit save you money, you be able to see/do exactly what you want to your own schedule.

Don't get me wrong, most Orig. London Walks are quite good - but I personally don't think their out of town tours are as useful. Most of the places they go are easy to do on your own and there are free or inexpensive tours once you get where ever.