Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TOUT London Weekly Poll (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tout-london-weekly-poll-754343/)

PalenQ Dec 21st, 2007 07:15 AM

TOUT London Weekly Poll

I have not relayed the weekly TimeOut London poll recently because the questions have been to esoteric and serious. But as i know Janis looks forward to this poll here's this week's - as usual any advice on how to cast my vote?

Readers' poll

This Xmas we want to know:
pop group Blur are set to re-form in 2008.

Who or what would you like to see making a comeback?
A) The Routemaster bus
B) Smoking in pubs
C) Hangings at Tyburn

A really tough choice here - Routemasters still chug along a tourist route along the Thames north side so they can't really comeback - and as they seemingly pollute so much they are not PC

Smoking in pubs - never want that

so i guess it's C - Hanging at Tybrun as the least detrimental answer

How would you vote?

hetismij Dec 21st, 2007 09:06 AM

The Routemaster, converted to run on gas maybe?

Apres_Londee Dec 21st, 2007 10:14 AM

Blur are making a come-back?!? How did I miss this gigantic news? Just the other day I was thinking about how great it would be if they got back together, and now I learn that my wish has come true...thanks Santa!

Cholmondley_Warner Dec 22nd, 2007 01:58 AM

The only thing I would like to bring back - and just for this afternoon - is football holiganism in the N5 area.

Carrybean Dec 22nd, 2007 04:44 AM

I'll vote for the hangings but isn't Pierrepoint (or whatever his name was) dead? They'd have to train somebody. :)

PalenQ Dec 22nd, 2007 05:41 AM

<Blur are making a come-back?!? How did I miss this gigantic news?>

Yeh insiders in the music business, this is called the Dead Zep effect

BTW never heard of the Blur - are they really or were they really a big group? Or is this another TOUT joke?

I'm for public hangings of hooligans in N5

PatrickLondon Dec 22nd, 2007 08:34 AM

>>The Routemaster, converted to run on gas maybe?<<

Well, we could do the complete heritage experience with it, perhaps towing a gasbag on a trailer (no, I don't mean Boris, though the thought's tempting), a clippie on board with Bisto "stocking seams", anti-blast tape across the windows and blackout lighting, and cheerful Cockernee sorts rolling out the barrel all the way along the journey. On second thoughts, I think I'll walk.

Cholmondley_Warner Dec 22nd, 2007 10:43 AM

Patrick: The last time we did all that we ended up with a country full of yanks. Be careful what you wish for.

Overfed, overdressed and over here?

stokebailey Dec 22nd, 2007 09:11 PM

And we won't come back till it's over, over there.

PatrickLondon Dec 23rd, 2007 02:04 AM

By the way, I see a gift book currently on sale is a reprint of the official handbook issued to US servicemen arriving in Britain in 1942 (and there's one for British servicemen going to Iraq about the same time) ......

Cholmondley_Warner Dec 23rd, 2007 03:59 AM

I bought that book as a pressie it's great - the one about the french is even better. "no thay aren't unwashed peasants" is pretty much it.

PalenQ Dec 23rd, 2007 07:15 AM

CW - you know what your antiseptic statements caused not long ago...

be careful what you wish for

raise a pint or two for me this Christmas in the pub

RM67 Dec 23rd, 2007 10:27 AM

I'd like trams back.

And the old tube posters - my favourite is the Man Ray rings of Saturn one.

And Midnight Mint choc ices.

RM67 Dec 23rd, 2007 10:30 AM

Failing that, hangings.

I'd start with the teenage chav who walked into me (backwards!) yesterday on Regent Street and saw fit to call me a f******* c*** for daring to be behind him.

Apres_Londee Dec 23rd, 2007 10:37 AM

>>>BTW never heard of the Blur - are they really or were they really a big group? Or is this another TOUT joke?<<<

I am reeling (reeling!) with shock.

Blur were the most delicious group of the nineties. I guarantee you would recognize a few Blur songs if you heard them. Two former members have also had very sucessful post-Blur careers, and you would probably recognize a couple of their songs, too (from commercials if nothing else)

PalenQ Dec 23rd, 2007 02:43 PM

Naw except for Nirvana all my music interests date from groups made popular in 60s 70s and early 80s

not much of merit after that - ABBA though was nice too.