Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madird: Last week of December or first week of January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are traveling to Asia from US in winter and can get a layover/stopover in Madrid. We can arrive there either in the last week of December (between Chritsmas and New
Year) or in first week of Januray after New Year. I was therefore thinking to spend a couple of days in Madrid before traveling further.

Which is a better time to visit Madrid? I realize that things might be more expensive before New Year. However, it might be more enjoyable because of holiday mood/festivities. I am concerned that the city might turn into a ghost town after New Year with shops/attractions closed.

More generally, is it either worth it to stop in Madrid during that time of year? I could choose to not stop at all and save my trip to Madrid for some other time when weather is better. This would be first trip to Madrid.

By the way, we also have a choice to stop in London instead of Madrid so I have same question for London. I will start a separate thread for London.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:55 AM

I can speak only to my own trip in January of last year. Weather was absolutely fine; we had some light rain a couple of evenings but I was very surprised at how moderate the temperatures were. We walked everywhere and were never uncomfortable. I would not let the weather deter you. I think either time would be fine but others will know more about that aspect of your decision.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 01:24 AM

In Spain, the Xmas/NY festivities last until Jan 6th. The Cabalgata (Three Wise Men Parade) takes place on Jan 5th.
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/01/...151_1325790481
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 07:02 AM

We've always enjoyed the Christmas season in Madrid when we can get away for a few days. The city is dressed for the season, everyones out and about, and although the days are short, the weather is generally fine, as ekscrunchy mentions.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
qz- I've not been to Madrid between Christmas and New Year, but other places I've visited then [Prague, Budapest] were a lot of fun.

be aware that anywhere will be expensive on two nights either side of New Year's Eve, and if you're arriving just before then, you will have to pay inflated prices wherever you are for those few nights.

a few days after Jan 1st, hotels should drop in price again, though because of the festival mentioned by Revulgo, that may not apply in Madrid.