Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

touristy pictures one should not miss taking in italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, We will be visiting rome, sorrento, florence and venice - I know you can have your pictures taken with the gladiators at the colusseum but what other touristy pictures have you taken in Italy? or even strange landmarks or signs? Would love to hear!!! thanks
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In Positano we took a picture of the road signs because they put about 20 small signs with arrows pointing the direction you should go on one pole. We also took pictures of some Blue Nuns we saw in Rome. In Verona my daughter took a picture of the guy that plays Grissom on CSI.

My favorite pictures are of Italians going about their everyday lives - old men sitting and playing cards, people on vespas, sitting at cafes, etc.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Holding up the leaning tower of Pisa is pretty much a given, as is sticking your hand in the Mouth of Truth in Rome, even if you don't look anything like Audrey Hepburn.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:30 AM

It's not 'touristy' per se, but is my favorite picture from Rome.

Go to the Domus Aurea (sp) on the hill above the Colosseum. Get a shot of the city below you with the Colosseum and Forums. It is my wallpaper on my pc in a B&W version and you really can't tell if it is from 1 year ago or 50...awesome.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Don't forget a shot of Florence just before sunset from Piazaelle Michelangelo.

In Venice, you can get some great photos from the top of the Campanille, as well.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Pictures of Vesuvious from Sorrento are nice to take or, if you go to the top of Vesuvious, take pictures of the Bay of Naples from there. If you can get up into the hills of Massa Lubrense, you can get great shots of the entire Bay with Capri to the left wrapping around to Vesuvious on the right. Sunset shots from that area are spectacular. I also love pictures of unique doorways, gates, storefronts, etc. - everyday sights similar to what kybourbon mentioned. You will find a special shot just about everywhere.

Have a wonderful trip and have fun taking pictures.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:04 AM

I found a fantastic photo op just behind the Capitol area, looking down across the forum with the Colosseum in the distance. It was a great way to enter the forum. When I got home and turned the page on my Italy calendar in the kitchen, low and behold the same picture!

Also, be sure to take your picture of your hand in la boca della verita.
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:32 AM

The typical tourist shots are what post cards are all about. You will never get the same shots to compare.
Now, if you want to see creative shots of Italy then go to www.jimtardio.com
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

I have seen your pictures and they are definitely beautiful pictures but i am looking for more odd things or signs or even places that we will see along the way! thank you to everyone keep them coming!!!
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ummm - I shouldn't admit this but I took a picture of a turkish toilet.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Don't forget the picture of laundry on the balconies. If you can find someplace high (our Rome hotel had a rooftip view of a number of balconies) it's really great.

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:54 AM

I like taking pictures of random things that bring back special memories. For example, my favorite gelateria or the omnipresent PACE flags, and the like.
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:24 AM

I have been on an italian window photo kick for about a year and a half now, and i've noticed that especially in Venice you can get some really characteristic Italian window photos.

Any side canals in Venice also work. We were just there this weekend, and we took black and white film this time--I can't wait to get the photos developed.

In terms of Rome: I would try to get some from the Aventine Hill. A famous one is the photo looking through the keyhole of the Knights of Malta. There are also great ones from the gardens nearby.

In terms of Florence: I have this great postcard that I have always wanted to recapture in my own photography: looking up from underneath the loggia in Piazza della Signoria, with the tower and the blue sky all framed. I have always had trouble with good photos in Piazza della Signoria, and I think this would make a nice one. Another nice one is looking back at the Uffizzi from the river.

some other photos that i took that turned out well are 1) of st. peter's through the large ironwork on the Angel Bridge in Rome and 2)from atop the duomo in Florence (one especially, looking down at the shadow of the duomo's cupola amidst the orange tiled roofs).

Anyway, here are a couple of photo journals (one being my own) with some typical Italian sites:

Parma and Modena (my favorite one here is of the boy leaning on the lion of the duomo in Modena)
http://www.thelongtriphome.com/articles-lc-goyette.html

Florence and Siena Photojournal:
this isn't mine, but I love the photo of sunset on the Arno, as well as the one of the cupola
http://www.thelongtriphome.com/archives3spot1201.html
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much all your replies are so creative - keep them coming!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

some one else even odd road signs anything we may not notice unltil you happened upon it - our itinerary is rome - pompeii - sorrento - capri - pisa - florence to venice and back to Rome - Ideas???
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

to the top
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Not Europe, but here are some interesting finds from Japan:

www.engrish.com
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM

One of my favorite vistas in Venice, a real classic, is looking down the Grand Canal towards the church of Santa Maria della Salute, from atop the Accademia bridge. If this view doesn't make you fall in love with La Serenisssma, I''m not sure what will.