Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tourist discounts for the "tube" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tourist-discounts-for-the-tube-97368/)

Clyde Dec 24th, 2000 04:20 PM

Tourist discounts for the "tube"

I went to the "tube's" website as I'd heard that there is some sort of tourist pass you could get-the site didn't show this (at least in my brief research). Does anyone know what these passes/benefits are?

Ben Haines Dec 25th, 2000 09:26 AM

From reading this and other travel fora I have the idea that some kind of pass is indeed sold in North America to tourists. But also that it is a poorer buy than is a one week two zone London travel card, at (I think) fourteen pounds or twenty US dollars. You can buy this at Gatwick railway station, Heathrow tube station, and indeed any underground station. You need a passport photo, and must fill in a simple form. It covers the area within Hammersmith, Willesden, and Greenwich, and is good for tube, bus, and local trains. If you'll be here less than four days you will find it cheaper to buy one day two zone travel cards at 3.90 pounds each, but they are valid Monday to Friday only from 0930. <BR> <BR>Please write if I csan help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Nigel Doran Dec 25th, 2000 11:46 AM

The weekly zone 1 and 2 pass is going to be about £19 and is good on all tubes, trains, light-rail and buses. <BR>There are also weekend travelcards that are good for Sat. and Sun. and public holidays. <BR>From what I have read on this site, bring a photo with you and get a weekly pass rather than buying the same in the U S. <BR>There are also family cards. Alternatively, if you just want to use the Tube and only want to use it in Zone 1 (very central) then you can get a carnet of 8 tickets for the price of 10.

Geoff Dec 25th, 2000 04:43 PM

Here's what the deal is because I went through the same thing 2 years ago on a trip to London. The Zone 1 & 2 pass is not sold in the US. They want you to buy the full all-inclusive, all-zone pass for quite a bit of money. If you were traveling from Hearthrow airport to center London every single day, prehaps this would make sense. Otherwise this is a waste of money. Most people only need the zone 1 & 2. If you are getting a pass for a full week you need a passport size photo which can either be a left over from your passport, or you can get them just about anywhere at one of those stupid booths you see at the stations/airport. Both Gatewick and Heathrow have stations where you can get passes, all the major stations like Kings Cross, Victoria, Paddington, etc. do as well. I got mine at Heathrow but it's a little tricky to get to, ask twice for directions if you need to. I believe it's at terminal 4 which you made need to take a shuttle to. <BR> <BR>HTH <BR> <BR>

elvira Dec 26th, 2000 07:22 AM

There are a couple of agencies that sell the zone 1-2 pass in the U.S., but you pay such a high transaction fee, it's not worth it unless you're buying for a group (like 10 or more) and want the convenience/peace of mind of having the passes in hand before leaving on your trip. Just buy the pass at any underground station in London. <BR>There is some sort of "tourist pass" sold only in the U.S., but it's really not that great ("discounts" on entrance fees to a few sights, most of which you wouldn't visit anyway) and the commuter passes are much better - AND you have a choice of days, zones (the weekend pass is a particularly good value).

Clyde Dec 26th, 2000 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your info. Are the zone passes unlimited use?

Ben Haines Dec 26th, 2000 04:11 PM

Yes, all the zone travel cards give unlimited use within the zones, except that the one-day travel cards are not valid, and are not sold, until 0930 from Monday to Friday. The one-week cards are valid at any hour. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>