Tourism slow in France?

Aug 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Tourism slow in France?

According to this article on CNN.COM, tourism in France is slow this year, not only from foreigners but the French are also not traveling as much. Now, I feel like such a good global citizen by spending a full week in France in October...helping their economy.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/08/12...eut/index.html
Aug 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM
rex

That's it... make me feel guilty, of not doing my part to help... enough.

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Last month I guess it was the same as usual because there were alot of tourists in Paris.
Aug 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
lyb
Original Poster

I'm sorry Rex, but I have a way to help with your guilt...send me a $200 - $300 or more and I'll be more than happy to spend it for you in France. 8-)
Aug 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Can't prove it by me, had a heck of a time getting flights coming and going, on United. We couldn't get our dates, upgrades or a direct flight any time from SFO to CDG end of August thru September. Of course we tried to book late in the game, the end of July.
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:00 AM

thank you for your sympathy!
that is funny because I read that in Burgundy, tourism was better this year!

come over then, we are waiting for YOU!><
corinne
Aug 13th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Our experience with American in late July was that my daughter had no problem getting to CDG from SJC, but coming home everything was packed. She used a D1 pass (the most senior) to get home and made it but there were several people nonreving who had been trying for 4 days and hadn't made it.

I would surmise that there are more French heading this way than there are American's going to France.
Aug 13th, 2005, 08:19 AM

I suspect the dollar versus euro exchange has a lot to do with it.
Aug 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM

I'm not sure I understand what difference it makes whether someone originates a roundtrip flight between the USA and France from the USA or France. It's a roundtrip for everyone...n'est pas? Or maybe I'm just having another senior moment.

Larry J
Aug 13th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Three weeks ago there didn't seem to be any lack of visitors at the chateaux we visited in the Loire and Paris seemed as busy as ever.
Aug 13th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Sorry, Larry, I should have explained that my daughter was flying standby. The nonrev travel planner showed more seats available going to CDG than there were seats returning. She did not have a "round trip ticket".
Aug 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM

I returned a few weeks ago and it was as usual, crowded and too many Americans
Aug 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM

But unless you're suggesting there are a lot of French MOVING to the US and not returning there, I fail to understand the logic that because flights were busier returning than going, that has anything to do with more French coming here than Americans going there. Nearly every person goes both ways, whether they are French or American or Canadian.
Aug 14th, 2005, 02:25 AM

"Slow" is a very relative term. Paris is still filled with tourists, especially at this time of year, when many of the locals go on vacation and most of the people who remain are tourists. You can go down almost any major street in Paris right now and hear people speaking English. The rue Cler will probably become the 51st State soon, judging by the number of Americans who loiter about there, clutching their Rick Steves books.
Aug 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM

many french families would escape to the south of france and camp out during august. This travel is down due to the severe drought which has required draining swimming pools and curtailing water for agricultural use.
Aug 15th, 2005, 05:51 AM

With all due respect to Payant, who is probably French, I don't believe one "escapes" much by going to southern France in August. Remaining in Paris (rue Cler and its throngs of guidebook toters excepted, perhaps) is more of a relief. At this second, you could fire one of Napolean's cannon down the rue du Faubourg St. Antoine, and not hit one single moving thing. Bliss!
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Just to say the south coast is still appreciated by thousands of French, wasting their time spending hours in huge traffic jams, spending a lot of money in bad "restaurants" set up only for july and august, sunbathing on crowded beaches, and sleeping in 30mē apartments far too much expensive for what they are. Yerk! and they love that! typically french even if now they tend to discover other regions.
ah! les congés payés et l'ambiance des vacances....
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I did read at the weekend that the French (who like to holiday in France) aren't spending as much money on holidays (much to the grumblings of the hotels and restaurants), as they get so much time off these days that they have to make the money spread a little further. Poor things
Aug 15th, 2005, 08:04 PM

On Sunday, we took a short drive from La Charite-sur-Loire in the Nievre, south through the Cher, and re-crossed the Loire at Forchambault, with a stop at a restauarant in a balconied inn that hasn't changed much since the 18th century, L'Auberge du Poids de Fer, at the hamlet of Jouet sur l'Aubois, in the Cher. Very few people on the roads, and we were one of four parties at the restaurant. But this is not atypical of the Nievre and the Cher near the Loire, and no good gauge of the pace of tourism overall. In places that draw large numbers of visitors, hotels are overbuilt. Honfleur in Normandy had perhaps a dozen hotels 20 years ago, and now has three times that number. So is it any wonder they don't all fill their rooms all the time?

The French do like to travel in their own country, and on that short jaunt we were reminded why. Sixty kilometers of beautiful countryside, rolling hills under a big sky on the Nievre side of the Loire, charming old homes, a fine place to stop for lunch, and not a billboard in sight!

Coco, one of the days, we'll come to see you in beautiful Dijon.
Aug 15th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Dave, you always kill me with your Nievre posts. My wife and I adore that area, find it both beautiful and interesting. But without really obvious "attractions," it is hard to explain to our friends why we find it so appealing. All our explanations sound so generic. What a beautifully kept secret, at least as far as North Americans are concerned. Even the French seem to just pass on by on there way south. Well, we'll be in Briare and Pouilly and Sancerre and more in a couple of months, regrettably only for a very short time this year. Have you been to the works at Guedelon? We are going to check it out this trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO