Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Tour to the jewish museum in prague
Notices

Tour to the jewish museum in prague

Jun 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Tour to the jewish museum in prague

Hi there, we have just returned once again from prague, this time we decided to go to the jewish museum , we found this incredible guide in the old town square , he is actually the only jewish guide around there and there's nothing better than going to the jewish museum with a jewish guide , only made the experience a lot better , his name is josef , you can find him with a sign half in english half in hebrew , you don't want to miss that one.. good luck !
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM

There is more than a Jewish museum - there's a cemetery and several buildings to visit - all of which are fascinating. Nothing against a guide - but you can easily see them all by yourself and understand/appreciate everything. Incredibly moving and IMHO must sees on a first visit to Prague.
Jun 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

yeah we were all around the jewish quarter, he even showed us photos of the interiors of the old-new,
usually i'm against tours since i prefer to take the time and do things by myself ,we could spent there 8 hours just reading about the artifacts but without a guide,and especially a jewish one you get only 1/10 of the experience ..beside that i'm not jewish so for me that was everything i need to know
Jun 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Totally agree with you both.
One should visit the Jewish museum in the Jewish quarter on ones first visit to Prague and a guide - private and personal if possible as you did, is very useful.
This is exactly what I did on my first vist to Prague last October. Thanks to my guide Joeri, I discovered and learned things I'd never have known, as well as going to spots within the area I'd never have known to go and see. I even have some unusual photos of the cemetary by leaning dangerously out of a carved stone window in a room that most tourists would not know to go to, but the guide did.

It is a fascinating area of Prague, and I especially liked the colourful Moorish synagogue neaby.

Search this Thread