tour to auschwitz from prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a 17 hour tour from Prague to Auschwitz and A/Birkenau. Is there anyone out there who has taken this particular trip from Prague? I need some itinerary details. We took a tour from Rome to Pompeii a few years ago and were disappointed with the actual time spent in Pompeii...too many stops along the way and not enough time in the actual tour destination. I am afraid that this may be the same. Please advise.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:16 AM

I didn't do this myself but a group of people did it while we were studying abroad together. I don't know when you are going but they went in late July and it was hot! Additionally, as you pointed out, not a lot of ground time. They were glad to have the experience but felt it would have been better included in a long weekend that included Krakow and to do the trip from there.

To me, I think it is a long way for a day trip and there are other things to do in the area that will give you perspective on the WW2/Jewish perspective. Although, if you have never been to a concentration camp, I can understand that is something you may want to experience to remember.

I guess you should make the call but I suggest including it in another trip or from a different starting location.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I had a feeling it was a bit too far for a one day trip. I will look into a stay in Krakow and go from there. We do plan on being there in July, but we are from AZ and it cannot be as hot as here during the summer
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Have you thought about going to Terezin which is a concentration camp right in the Czeck Republic?
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:26 AM

No it is definitely not as hot as Arizona... that is hard to match. Definitely look into going to Krakow. It has a lot of tourists in July, mainly Germans, but the city is gorgeous and accommodations are relatively cheap. It is about a 6-8 hour train ride from Prague though, so you might do as last poster did and visit a camp in the CR. Also, from my memory Schindler's original house is in CR (not terribly exciting) and there is a war memorial of some executed children near Prague.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Syl

Please read the Krakow post.I believe it's up to 50 some odd entries.I wouldn't suggest going to Auschwitz/Birkenau without visiting the old Jewish Kazimierz area as well.Krakow deserves more than a pass-through.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

I have taught the Holocaust in 8th grade for over 20 years and would like to visit Auschwitz as well as Terezin for my own education as well as personal reasons. I appreciate your replies and will use your suggestions.
Thank you very much.