Tuscany - things to do

Old Aug 15th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany - things to do

I will be in Tuscany for 4 nights in October with my fiance We are staying just outside of Siena at an agriturismo and we will have a car.

For anyone who has been to this region of Italy, what were the highlights of your trip?

Of course the best part of Tuscany is exploring the hilltowns, but does anyone have any specific recommendations? Are there any wineries you recommend? For white wine in particular (and food!). We also are interested in thermal baths, if anyone has been to any that they recommend. What else would you recommend?

Thank you!
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 02:56 PM

You're close to San Gimignano, which I believe has an outstanding white wine (not sure, haven't had wine in decades) and I know has an outstanding Duomo interior. Breathtaking fresoes.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Hi kbmtravel,

You will love Tuscany, nearly everyone does. Yes, San Gimignano has a nice white wine, but the name escapes me right now! Vernacia? Tuscany is more famous for reds and they are incredible.

In four days you can have a very nice visit. The San Gimignano duomo is very beautiful as tuscanlifeedit mentioned. I also enjoyed visiting Monte Olivetto and Sant' Antimo abbeys.

Monte Olivetto is famous for it's frescos and Sant' Antimo for it's history, beautiful unadorned duomo, and the monks who perform services in Gregorian Chant. I went early on a Saturday morning and stayed for the entire service. Lovely and peaceful. There were only about 12 people there, half locals and half visitors. Around 10am, "visiting hours" began and the tour buses rolled in. I would recommend going early or late for this reason.

Both are in the Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza area south from your agritourismo. All 3 are definitely worth visiting, but you really shouldn't try to visit more than 2 hilltowns/other sites per day. Tuscany is all about enjoying a slower pace, the scenery, the food and wine.

If you have the chance, I loved Taverna Grappolo Blu in Montalcino. Not sure if they are open for lunch, but definitely dinner.

Buon viaggio!
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 05:33 PM

Is this in addition to a visit to Florence or will you not do Florence this trip. I would always make this my first 2 days in Tuscany.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you decide to visit Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore, be aware the entire monastery closes for a few hours in the middle of the day. You need to time your arrival carefully.

From Siena, I enjoy the drives through the Val d'Orcia (Montalcino/Pienza/Montepulciano and the area south), Val d'Elsa to Volterra, along the back/secondary roads of Chianti to Castellina, Radda, Panzano, etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 07:38 PM

We stayed at an agriturismo near Siena in June of 2014 and had a great time. You may have already seen this but here is a link to my trip report describing all the fun things we did.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-june-2014.cfm
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions!
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 03:22 PM

There are wild hot springs not far from Siena, near Petriolo, so you might want to google for specifics. Otherwise you can go to Bagno Vignoni or Montepulciaano for spas, or Rapalono Terme.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 05:05 PM

From advice here, we visited an organic farm last September, toured with the owner, enjoyed a wine and charcuterie tasting. It was absolutely amazing - every single thing from the bread to the wine and all in between - was made on the farm. The owners were charming and informative. The highlight of our wonderful stay in Tuscany. Highly recommend!

http://www.podereilcasale.it/
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM

See the following:

http://www.mapitout-tuscany.com/2014...gs-map-of.html

Check driving time on viamichelin to Montacatini Terme.