Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tour or independent trip/Bath & Warwick Castle?

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 04:55 PM
sandra

Message: We are going to be in London middle of July and would like to see Bath and Warwick Castle. Would we be missing anything if we opt to do ourselves by train as opposed to taking the bus tours? <BR>Sandra

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Lisa

Hi Sandra, <BR>We have done both on our own (by car, however) and loved it. I had good guidebooks for Bath.|The Roman Baths have a tape and headphones tour which was very good. Warwick, I think had a pamphlet and/or signs in each area which made it self-explanatory. I did not feel like I missed anything by doing it on our own, but somebody who has done a guided tour may feel differently.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 09:42 PM
nwf

I have taken a guided bus day tour to Bath and it was not a good idea. We were rushed along and could not see the <BR>baths at our leisure, as our guide was worried about middle of the week traffic on the way back to London. We <BR>were also encouraged to eat lunch in a rest. that was not very good, which also <BR>took time from seeing the baths. <BR>We toured Warwick on our own and it was <BR>much more pleasant.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 02:52 PM
mimi

We did both of thise on our own and do not think that we missed much. I agree that a guided tour rushes you and you see what they want you to see. Bath was easy to reach by train and any guide book gives you details of what to see. We spent the day seeing the baths, walking around, going to see Regency England, etc. The town had many restaurants and it was a delightful day. Warwick Castle , we drove to on another trip to England. This was the one place my husband walked out on and sat outside. He hated the close quarters they sent you through and he did not enjoy seeing all the wax works in the different rooms. I enjoyed the ancient parts more than the victorian ones. Again it was easy to do on your own.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 04:13 PM
shirl

I would like to do a day in Bath by train with a side trip to Stonehenge. I know the train does not go to Stonehenge, but is it possible to get there by bus or tour from Bath without going to Salisbury?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:26 AM
xxx

We did both on our own. I can't see why you would want or need a tour for Warwick. We drove to Bath but immediately dumped off the rental car. The train station there is not far from things. We did take the open-top bus tour of the city in Bath and then toured the sites on our own.