Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tour of Turkey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tour-of-turkey-658437/)

lovesublime Nov 12th, 2006 05:14 PM

Tour of Turkey

Hello!
I would like to do a tour of Turkey next September. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced tour company? I do not require 4-5* accomodations. Im looking to spend $2000 max. I was looking at Rock Steve's tour, $1995 (I believe was land only). Any other suggestions? I may be traveling alone and would like people around my age. Late 20's early 30's. Thanks!

jules4je7 Nov 12th, 2006 06:27 PM

I've been to Turkey -- but traveled independently. I've used a lot of Rick Steve's books in my various travels, and know a couple of people who have gone on his tours. Given your age, and where you're going, I'd highly recommend a Rick Steves tour.

Happy travels,

Jules

worldinabag Nov 12th, 2006 10:30 PM

Hi

We have just returned from a 10 day tour of Turket with Insight. It was fantastic. It's 5 star but was good value - AUS$1475 per person. We have used Cosmos (3 star) twice before and can thoroughly recommend them too. They too have a Turkey tour. Please note tour companies reserve the right to cancel tours if numbers are not sufficient (read the fine print). When booking your tour make sure it has a "Guaranteed Departure date". That means they start irrespective of numbers.

LowCountryIslander Nov 13th, 2006 06:57 AM

Hi Lovesublime...

I will be taking the Rick Steves Turkey tour next September. I have been on 2 of his tours. Ireland in 2005 and Eastern Europe this year.

I am in my mid to late 30's and really enjoyed both of the Rick Steves tours I was on. His guides are great and I have highly recommended his tours to others. On the Ireland tour I traveled solo and was paired up with a roommate on the Eastern Europe trip a friend came with me and we roomed together.

I will say that on both tours I was one of the youngest tour members, but that did not bother me. His tours tend to attract mature clients, usually who have traveled before and have great senses of adventure, at least that has been my experience with his tours so far. In both my experiences the other tour members have been great.

Hope this helps in your decision making. :)

Bazonia Nov 13th, 2006 08:05 AM

We were very pleased with Pasha Tours, which is a Turkish company. It was a land and air package, and there were no hidden expenses, and everything was included. The value was unbelievable, and the hotels were very good to excellent, and the food (mostly buffet) was high quality and varied.
We stayed two weeks and were treated very warmly by the Turkish people. Our tour guide was great and we saw tons of interesting sites and learned so much. You will come away with a love of Turkey, I promise you.
A nice aspect of our trip - we took it early in the year, April I think, and we only had 9 people for our group. They did the whole tour anyway and we were in a mini-bus. We got to know our traveling companions well, including several Australians, who came to see Gallipoli, which was incredibly moving and beautiful.
Good luck on your tour.

nancy Nov 13th, 2006 04:40 PM

I will second a tour with Pacha Tours. I took one of their tours in 1996 and am planning another trip with them in April or May of 2007. Turkey is so amazing that it requires much more travel.

Pacha Tours has excellent prices and terrific tour guides. I like that they concentrate on Turkey. Having said this I'm sure Rick Steves would have a great trip. I just can't afford him as you have to tack on the airfare. Darn.

zwho Nov 13th, 2006 07:47 PM

Turkey is very amazing. We did Turkey on our own, but spent 4 days on a gulet trip with Pasha Tours. Very reasonable and it was the highlight of my trip. You might check on Contiki Tours. I don't know what they cost or if they even go to Turkey, but I hear they are geared to ages 21 to 35. Good luck.