tour of italy before cruise

Jun 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

tour of italy before cruise

My niece and I are cruising out of Rome in July. Since our flight arrives around 8 am and our cruise doesn't depart until 5 pm, we would like to see a little of Rome in the interim. Any suggestions?
The ideal situation would be a touring company/taxi that would pick us up at the airport, give us a tour and then drop us off at the cruise port. The cost might be prohibitive, though.
The other idea was to leave our luggage in a locker at the airport and strike out on our own. I'm a little nervous about that, since this is our first time in this city. Any advice would be appreciated!
Pam
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:26 AM

May I suggest, you search for a tour/taxi service that will take you from the Airport on a quick tour of Rome.A good local service will take care of your wishes. Keep in mind that the Port is a couple of hours from Rome but they know that. Check the Internet for those services in Rome. Good Luck
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM

You don't want to leave your luggage at the airport and have to go all the way back out there to retrieve it. You really don't have much time to tour because it will take an hour or two after you land to get your luggage and get into Rome. Does your cruise depart at 5 or board at 5? The port is 70 minutes by train from Rome.
Jun 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM

If you do this on your own, you'll want to take the train into Roma Termini, the main train station There you can leave your luggage in the baggage deposit at the station while you spend a few hours in Rome. From Roma Termini you can take a train to Civitavecchia, the cruise port.
Jun 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM

If you are landing in Rome from an international flight you'll be tired so a private driver who will give you a tour of Rome would be best. Your luggage can go in the driver's trunk and he can take you to your ship at the end of the tour.
We were very pleased with Emilio Menastre at www.customtoursrome.com
Jun 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM

The left luggage room at Termini Station is a mob scene.

A private driver is really the only way to do this, especially since the aiport is a good hour outside Rome, and so is the cruise port (in a different direction).

Between heat and jet lag, all I'd want to do is get picked up from the airport, taken on a nice morning zip around Roma in an air conditioned limo, stop for a lunch with a great view of something, then head to the ship (napping on the way).