Tour of Ancient Rome

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Christin

Tour of Ancient Rome

Can anyone recommend a guided tour group beside Scala Reale (nothing available) for a tour of Ancient Rome? Has anyone returned recently that had a good experience with a particular tour company?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Barb

Christin--My group of six hired Dr. Richard Westall. He charges $150 for a 1/2 day, or $300 for a full day tour. With the size of our group, we felt the benefit of a private guide to be well worth the expense. We started early at the Vatican, and went straight to the Sistine Chapel. There were only 3 or 4 people in there when we arrived--what a fabulous experience! We then went through the Vatican Museums, and toured St. Peter's and after lunch saw the sights of ancient Rome. We toured the Colosseum, the forum, Palatine Hill, the Pantheon. We really enjoyed the tour and learned a lot.

His email address is: [email protected]

Also, do a search on this forum for "Rome tour guide" for more info. Barb

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:45 AM
jill

We used the three amigos tours, we scheduled a private tour for 3 hours at a cost of 80 euro, the tour ended up being closer to 4 hours with no extra cost. Our guide was Chay, there is nothing this guy doesn't Know about Rome. [email protected] I found out about them on this forum.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Anna

Hi Christin,
Like Jill, we also booked with Chay from Three Amigos. He's quick to respond to any questions and he's very accommodating. I sent emails to several tour companies - some were too expensive. Scala Reale, who everyone seems to rave about didn't even bother to reply. Have a great time.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Christin

Is the Three Amigos private tour 80 Euros regardless of how many people you have in your group? It will be just my husband and I, so will it be 80 Euros for both of us or for each of us?
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Kathy

I would agree with Jill and Anna's recommendations for Three Amigos. I know they offer three different tours, including one of Ancient Rome. I took the Vatican tour, which I really enjoyed.

Regarding your question about the cost, you should contact Chay at [email protected] directly. He'll give you the most accurate answer.

Good luck.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Michael

Christin,
Our family just came back from Italy where we took Italy Belissimo tour with Trafalgar. Will never take their bus tour again. But let's talk about good things. We had a couple of free days in Rome and hired a private guide. What a joy it was. His name is Massimiliano Canneto and he is from a company Roma Culta (their site is www.romaculta.it). We had 4 different walks with him, one of them was ancient Rome. It was like drinking delicious chamagne: the guy is bubbling with information, he knows so much, he gives you so many wonderful details on everything, that his tours became the pinnacle of our stay in Italy. His prices are quite competitive- 100 eurous for half day. And he prepared a number of personalized proposals for us before we departed to Italy. I recommend him with all my heart. His e-mail is [email protected].
Have fun
Michael
You

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:02 AM
jill

the three amigos tour is 80 euro regardless of the amount of people. There were 4 of us so we payed 20 euro each.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:31 AM
ellen

Here's another option to check out. Enjoy Rome is cheaper than Scala Reale and has an informative tour of Ancient Rome. In my case, it was an American woman, art history expert. They have a website.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:05 AM
dds

Recently returned from GoAHead vacation's London, Paris and Rome tour. They provided tour guides in each city and provided an excellent private tour of the Coliseum, Forum and Vatican in Rome. The tour director also conducted a walking tour of downtown Rome which included the Spanish steps and Pantheon area.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Dianna

Just don't book Eternity Tours. They never showed at our scheduled time and we had to book from an independent tour guide at the last minute. Put us behind and almost missed our cruise ship departure.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Doug Weller

We used Daniella Hunt -- she was great, fun and knew her stuff.

See our trip report at

http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk/4rome.html

which includes a link to her.

Doug

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:32 AM
up

tally ho!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:44 AM
xxx

Please define ancient Rome as when I visited it seemed to spread for ever!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Karen

There are a lot of tour companies that do this, just search on yahoo for "walking tours rome" Most have testimonials and quotes, and many look quite good.