Madrid/Camino Hike/Madrid + 5 nights?

Old Aug 31st, 2016, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid/Camino Hike/Madrid + 5 nights?

In mid-Sept., my husband and I will arrive in Madrid after flying overnight from the US with 2 nights to meander northwest before needing to meet our group in Lugo on night 3 and begin hiking the Camino for 6 nights/100km. What route would you recommend to drive and where to overnight to see the nicest smaller sites along the way northwest? We enjoy being active, food, wine, architecture, photography and natural landscapes and have seen Pedraza and Sepúlveda recommended as manageable and lovely 1st night stop options after flying overnight.
After arriving in Santiago de Compostela and overnighting/recovering, we have unexpectedly had 3 nights freed up before needing to be back in Madrid on the 4th night to fly out the next am. Would really appreciate ideas either driving east to Bilbao and south (have read Mondoñedo, Cudillero, Potes, Comillas, Santilla, Frias, etc mentioned), or west dipping into Portugal and east via Muros, Cambados, O Grove, Baiona,Zamora, Salamanca, Avila, etc. mentioned.
So much to do and so little time. Appreciate thoughts on how to not overdo or miss the special spots by choosing wisely. Many thanks!
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 07:32 PM
kja

I would not recommend driving upon your arrival! Although many people are not aware of it, mounting evidence indicates that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- for yourselves AND others -- as driving drunk. Consider spending a night in Madrid, or taking a train or bus from Madrid's airport to a destination where you can recover from jet lag before renting a car and moving on.

For your return, you might want to take a glimpse at the trip report I filed after returning from northern Spain (+). With only 3 nights, I don't think you have time for many of the locations you suggest; JMO. I assume that you will want to be in Madrid the night before your flight, in case something goes wrong?

FWIW, I visited Salamanca on a different trip, and thought it easily worth 2 full days and 2 nights. Personally, I would not try to cram it into this already very full itinerary unless I made it my ONLY stop between Santiago de Compostela and Madrid -- and that might be an option worth considering. JMO.

Do you have a copy of the Michelin Green Guide? If not, I strongly encourage you to get one or consult one at your local library.

Hope these comments help!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 12:25 AM

Where are you from? Maybe you need an IDP for each driver.
When you say Lugo I assume you rally mean Sarria.
The Camino Frances is very very busy. My local newspaper has said that more than a 1000 pilgrims arrive every day. That figure will not include those who only make part of the route and fail to finish.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...8G18P27991.htm

The added 3 nights:
Where is the car to be parked during your pilgrimage?
What are your interests?
if you take the car into Portugal please ensure you read up on how to pay the electronic tolls on some of the highways.

I agree with the above, do not drive straight away after a long flight.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I'd appreciate itinerary advice choosing among smaller towns like those mentioned in my initial posting with an eye towards our interests and time availability as mentioned above. Will review your trip report kja. Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

@kja awesome report! Will need to digest.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 05:07 AM

If you are walking the Camino Primitivo from Lugo to Santiago, you may not have had enough walking when you arrive, so one way to fill those extra nights would be to continue walking, out to Finisterre and/or Muxia. It would be a great way to test the waters of walking independently, which is easy to do on the Camino. It would take you three days of walking -- the Galician tourist office in Santiago (not the municipal one) has a map with all the details you need on places to stay, eat, etc. That route is becoming more and more popular, many find that ending at the sea is a more "fitting" end to their walk. The routes from Santiago to both places are well marked (they split after Olveiroa, one path heading southwest towards Finisterre and the other northwest to Muxia). The 31 km between Finisterre and Muxia is also well marked, in both directions, but that would add a day.

But if you want to get in a car and have a three day sightseeing trip, I think you have identified several great ideas -- the Asturian/Cantabrian coast is beautiful -- Cudillero, Luarca, San Vicente de la Barquera and many other small towns in that area are really nice. Or going to the Picos de Europa and visiting Potes (I don't think you have time to do both). But I personally wouldn't try to continue as Far East as Bilbao unless you want to be in your car most of the time. The towns along the coast are all part of the Camino del Norte, so maybe it will whet your appetite for another walk!

Or, it would also be a nice way back to Madrid to work your way through Zamora and Salamanca. Those two cities are also on a camino, the Via de la Plata, so again you might find yourself drawn to walk that route in the future. Avila and/or Segovia are also roughly on the way, but I think that would add too many stops. As a teaser introduction, it would give you plenty of ideas for your next trip!