Tour in London New Years Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 of us traveling to London between Christmas a New Years. My son is 12 years old. I have been to London a few times and this is my son's second trip. Since we have seen many things already in London we thought we would take the Windsor, Stonehedge and Bath tour this time. Premium Tours is offering the tour on New Years day. Has anyone taken a tour with them and how did you like it? Do you think it will be crowded on New Years day?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:41 PM
P_M

Please do not tell me you are going to see Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath all in the same day. That is far too rushed.

Stonehenge and Bath at once, yes that's doable. I took a Stonehenge/Bath tour a few years ago and it was OK, but next time I'll do it on my own. Like most organized tours, we barely had time to see anything.

For Windsor you should plan an entire day, or at least the better part of the day. Windsor is easily reached by train from London and a tour would be a sad waste. If there's any way I can talk you out of taking a tour to Windsor, please allow me to do so, it's really not necessary. The link below will provide all the Windsor info you need, including transportation from London.

http://www.windsor.gov.uk/attractions/castle.htm

Once again, I cannot say it enough, I am begging you to please not take a tour to Windsor. Go on your own, visit the castle at your own pace, then spend some time lingering in the town afterward. You'll save money and have a much more enjoyable time.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:48 PM
AR

I tend to agree with P M. Remember that on New Years Day you'll only get around eight and a half hours of daylight (from just before 8am to little after 4.30pm) and that Windsor Castle doesn't open until 9:45am. Allowing 2 hours to visit the castle (and there's little point in going to Windsor and not visiting the castle unless you've been before), you wouldn't be on your way to Stonehenge until mid-day which means that taking lunch into account lunch you'd arrive in Bath as it is getting dark. I'd do the trip in summer but not just after the shortest day.

Why not do a separate tour to Windsor as PM says? It is easily accessible by train.

As for crowds - probably not too bad on New Years Day as everyone will be under the duvet.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM

Woa - Check that the trains are running on New Years day also check that the places you want to visit are open. Apart from the shops most of the UK is closed
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM

Windsor Castle is apparently open on New Year's Day:

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/de...icle&ID=34

Trains run on New Year's Day every 20 minutes from Waterloo, every half hour or so from Paddington (change at Slough):

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

You can also take trains to Bath from Paddington, but if you want to see Stonehenge, a tour is probably the easiest option: but not trying to squeeze in Windsor as well. You're on holiday, not a route march.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the infomation. This was the only tour I could find on New Years day that went to Stonehedge and was reasonable in price. I don't think we are actually going into Windsor castle. We are just walking around there. The 3 of us have already been to Windsor and we did do it on our own. At Bath they said we will stay later than other tour groups and see it at night w/lights etc. so it sounded good. I was looking to get out of London New Years day thinking a lot of places would be closed. Does anyone know a good tour group for just Bath and Stonehedge? or another tour?
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure the tour visits the castle -- so you are paying for entry (included in the price of the tour) even if you don't go inside.

I totally agree Windsor, Stonehenge (Note the spelling) and Bath in one day is very hectic. And especially if the weather is lousy that day. Except for inside the Castle and the Roman Baths -- you will be pretty much stuck outside in the elements.

If your sone has been to London twice I am sure there are hundreds of things he hasn't see.

If you really wanted to get out of town and Bath interests you - then take the train on your own to Bath (From Paddington Station) spend the day there and forget Stonehenge.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

After reading all the comments. I deceided to try to do Bath and Stonehenge on our own but I see that the buses are not running on New Years day. Can anyone make a suggestion for an trip outside London where we can just take the train assuming they will be running New Years Day?
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM

As I mentioned - Bath. Easy train ride from Paddington . . . .

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM

im going to be in amsterdam from 1/25 to 1/30 and im interested in taking a day to see stonehedge.. Preferably I would like to do this on my own. How as a student the sta travel is offering me a 2day stay at a hostel in bath and 1/2 day at stonehedge for 22.50euros.. What do you think
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:47 PM

If that is for 2 nights accomodation plus a visit to Stonehenge, that is very cheap.

Please note: stoneheNge.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:35 AM

You are staying in Amsterdam and plan on traveling to England to see Stonehenge?? How are you traveling from Amsterdam to Bath?

22 euro for one night in a hostel is pretty good. For 2 nights, plus a bus to/from Stonehenge, plus entry to the stones -- I just don't see it as even possible.

Give us some more details . . . .
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM

Well im gonna be in amsterdam for 5 days and nights and that could become very expensive for me. In my travels, im most interested in old architecture, ruins, and old cathadrels. Im assuming I could catch a ferry from either Amsterdam or Harleem and then bus it. The offer is not from the sta travel, it is from st. christophers and the link is https://www.st-christophers.co.uk/sp...ostel-specials.
I appreciate all those who have responded thus far.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM

Well - it is there - but for 22.50 GBP, not euro. Still very cheap but definitely more than 22 euro.

Now for practicalities - the ferries land on the far eastern coast of England and Bath is all the way across the country. Bus connections would take a very long time. You would probably need to use a minimum of 3 of your 5 days to make this even remotely possible.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM

You are only in Amsterdam for 5 days and yet you want to go to the UK for 3 days? this turns it into a UK stay with a day in amsterdam each end.

By the time you add in all your travel you'll probably end up spending more than you would just staying in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info.. I'm not gonna invest 3 days to see Stonehedge. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as a to a possible day-trip. I know the coffeeshops are located throughout the netherlands, so thats not a reason to stay in the city. So i wouldnt mind taking a day to travel elsewhere.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

im flying into asmterdam and on the 30th, then flying to split to meet my sister whos a foreign exchange student in dubrivnik. Ive never been to amsterdam, so i decided to fly in and spend acouple days. However, im starting to think 5 days in amsterdam will become very expensive an