Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tour Guide help in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tour-guide-help-in-paris-189564/)

Joe Sep 17th, 2001 03:14 AM

Tour Guide help in Paris

I am due to travel to Paris this November if all is well. We are a bit concerned still, but thought that the help of a guide might be of use to us while visiting the city. They could possible help my wife and I to see more of the sites and to avoid areas of the city that we should not venture into. If anyone has used a guide in Paris I would like any information about them. Thanks for your help.

Fred Sep 17th, 2001 03:44 AM

Veronique Jouvance <BR>23, rue de L'Ille <BR>75007 Paris <BR>France <BR>Tel: 011-33-1-42-60-50-34 <BR>Veronique is a lovely, fun French woman who speaks English and specializes in spending a day or half day with women whose husbands are working. She will go shopping with you, sightseeing, and can be your guide during your stay in Paris. <BR> <BR>Christiane Ladon <BR>E-mail her at [email protected] <BR>Chris will pick you up at your hotel and help you get oriented. Your itinerary or hers. She is bilingual and non-smoking. Shopping, restaurants and photos tips too. <BR> <BR>Rachel Kaplan <BR>29, rue Patrice de La Tour du Pin <BR>75020 Paris <BR>France <BR>Tel: 011-33-1-44-64-76-26 011-33-1-45-77-01-63 <BR>Rachel gives private walking tours <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Michael Sep 17th, 2001 04:24 AM

Dear Joe: <BR>Hello. I'm an American guide living here in Paris. If you are interested in more information about my services you might check out my website: <BR>www.geocities.com/parisfind/ <BR>Thank you for your consideration. <BR>Sincerely, <BR>Michael

Joe Sep 18th, 2001 02:38 PM

Hello, thanks for the information. Got in touch with everyone mentioned. Just waiting now for responces to my request for assistance while in Paris. <BR>Joe

Joe Sep 21st, 2001 01:15 PM

Hi. Thanks again to everyone on the board for their advice. I have received recommendations for the American guide posted, and I appreciate the support from others about traveling during these uncertain times. This was part of our reason to seek the aid of a guide. We thought we would feel safer with someone more familiar with Paris than we ever would be looking at a book and map. <BR>Thank you all again. <BR>Joe and Rita

PWelch Sep 26th, 2001 07:21 AM

Joe, <BR>Could you let me know which one you chose, as I am looking for a guide and one of them was charging $600 a day! without transport or entrance fees. I was hoping for 2 days. Is this normal? I got put off trying the others, but was wondering if you have found someone more reasonably priced. <BR>

Joe Oct 1st, 2001 10:26 AM

Dear PWelch: <BR>We have hired one of the "posters" here on the Fodors board. His name is Michael, and he seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to Paris. We only want him for some walking tours of the city, especially the big museums. He has quoted us a very reasonable price, and says that he will stay with us the entire day. His price for just us as a couple, is 60 dollars. This seems too good to be true, but he sent a list of references that we checked out. Everyone answered and said very nice things. They quoted this price-or something close to this per couple. We just have to pay for his entrance price. We will probably get us all museum card passes as he suggested. We are leaving at the end of this week if all goes as planned. We plan on using his know-how for at least two days while we are there. If we like him we might ask for some extra time. My wife felt that having a guide now would be a good idea. I have come around to her way of thinking, especially since this seems such an easy price to pay. I could never afford 600 dollars! for the day-that to me seems silly. Maybe you should try the guy Michael. He has left his info above. That's where I found it. <BR>When are you planning your trip? If we are back before you have gone I will be happy to write you our reviews. Good luck. Maybe we'll see you over there. <BR>Joe.

Patty Oct 4th, 2001 10:52 AM

Wow. I can't think of any guide in any town ever costing 600 bucks. What kind of service could they be offering that would make the price so high. The 60 dollar deal sounds great, and almost too good to be true. <BR>I wouldn't think you would really need a guide for Paris. Still, with things the way they are in the world now a days, I don't blame you. If the guy knows his stuff he should keep you safe and out of the creepy neighborhoods of Paris. <BR>Good luck. <BR>Pat

eleanor Nov 13th, 2001 11:51 AM

Hi. Has anyone else had any experience using one of the tour guides listed here. Thinking of making the trip to Paris in the spring. Thought the use of some sort of a guide could be fun and helpful.<BR>Thanks.<BR>El

mariacallas Nov 13th, 2001 06:41 PM

I had a guide for one of my earlier trips. He made dinner reservations, chauffeured us around, ordered our meals (then I did not know how to read the menu - then he would come back and pick us up after dinner). It was lovely. He was quite a bit older than we were and his choices were not what we would pick. <BR><BR>I think it is important that the guide be keyed to your interests and tastes. We hired him for three days. Now I would not think of hiring a guide because I can get around quite smoothly.<BR><BR>If you don't know Paris and you don't have time to put in about 100 hours or more planning what to do, I think a guide sounds reasonable.<BR><BR>Seriously, this is my 6th trip and I have put in way over 100 hours in on planning the itenerary. <BR><BR>

Olivia Nov 18th, 2001 06:13 PM

Any feedback on the tour guides suggested? Unfortunately Joe's email address does not appear to be functioning. Joe?<BR><BR>Thanks!

marks Nov 29th, 2001 06:41 AM

Point well taken maria callas, I was lucky that my use of a guide in Paris was not an older person, I guess. Our guide did actually do many of the same things that you mention except drive us around. We wanted mostly touring on foot. Can you tell his name? We were lucky probably to find a gentleman that had simular interests to ours, or at least tuned into what we our interests were. <BR>Markus

michael Nov 29th, 2001 08:30 PM

I just wanted to note that we used Michael's services last week and were quite pleased. He is especially good in the museums as befits an artist and a good source of intown information. Recommended highly.

Sandy Dec 18th, 2001 04:17 PM

Michael, Do you have any further information about this guide. What was your experience with him? Has anyone else used his services? I think that I have seen information posted by others recommending his services. But what happened to Joe? I would have liked to hear what he had to say. <BR>Sandy

Sandy Dec 18th, 2001 04:27 PM

Sorry, I just noticed he had posted the adress to a webpage. Still, it would be great to hear someone's personal experience with "parisfind"/Michael. Is he as inexpencive as was mentioned here. It seems too good to be true. I wanted some additional information before I write a request.<BR>Thanks again,<BR>Sandy

Olivia Jan 4th, 2002 02:38 PM

Just wanted to let you know that we did use Michael for an all day tour of outdoor markets, Samarataine store view, Louvre, Orsay, Mephisto shoe store (9 a.m.-8 p.m.). $60 for the day and well worth it. He is really a go with the flow kind a guy and his knowledge of the art museums are really his forte (helped make these two museums more manageable).

Olivia Jan 5th, 2002 03:37 AM

Just wanted to let you know that we did use Michael for an all day tour of outdoor markets, Samarataine store view, Louvre, Orsay, Mephisto shoe store (9 a.m.-8 p.m.). $60 for the day and well worth it. He is really a go with the flow kind a guy and his knowledge of the art museums are really his forte (helped make these two museums more manageable).

Michael Jan 6th, 2002 01:43 AM

There is a Mephisto store in Paris and he did not take us there? He should be flogged.

Fred Jan 26th, 2002 01:40 PM

topthis

Anne Feb 7th, 2002 03:34 AM

I am hoping Joe sees this post - I wanted to know how his your went. We are travelling to Paris in June and I would love a guide for the Louvre