Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour de France winner Floyd Landis fails drug test

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:32 AM

The A sample tested positive for testosterone, the B sample has yet to be tested but if that is also positive he is in deep trouble.

But since testosterone is also a naturally variable hormone, it must also be proved that this was not a normal result from the effort expended by the heroic ride.

I was there on the mountains during these stages and the time trial, so I would be heartbroken if it turns out he is a cheater.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Apparently he'll be fired by Phonak if he fails the second test according to the article.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I guess he really is Lance Armstrong's protege!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Neopolitan

So a guy is riding a bicycle for hours at a time for all he's worth in the event of his life, and he has a high level of testosterone. Who would have guessed?

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Under that criteria wouldn't every ride in the Tour test positive as well for the same reasons, or are you saying that only Landis was going all out?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Sorry Palq, but Armstrong NEVER failed a drug test. Not one of the thousands of test ever came up positive.

Only a test from 1999, whose provenance could not be reliably traced was ever positive and the questionable circumstances surrounding that one make it laughable.

We've spent the last 6 years following the tour around France so we've a lot of experience talking with people and reading the French press.

So all I can say is anyone can speculate but put your money where your mouth is with proof.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Well i don't know but the court testimony of Tour announcer Franky Andreau (sp?) and his wife turned the tables for me - both said they had no dog in this fight and that they were just answering truthfully the questions that they did indeed hear Lance tell the doctor at the hospital during his Cancer thing that he had taken banned substances. Now why would Franky and his wife lie under oathe - neither has ever said anything about Lance and drugs i believe. I guess they are bald face liars.
Never having failed a drug test does not mean one has taken illegal substances but is just a step ahead of the sleuths.
Again no way to prove but the court testimony to me is compelling - maybe i missed something.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Sorry also, Pal, but there is no mention in the media of any test results other than those for Landis.

One can assume all the others were tested for the same things in the same way and it would have helped to know that but it is not stated.

Neo: the assumption seems to be that the ride in and of itself would NOT have triggered a higher than usual testosterone level but that isn't clearly spelled out in the cited article, either.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM

When's the last time you had a confidential discussion with your doctor in front of a friend and his wife? And for the record, the case was "settled" with the insurance company being forced to give Armstrong the required bonus as well as having to pay Armstrongs court costs. If the court didn't believe the Andreu's evidence enough for a civil case, it would certainly not hold up to the higher level of a criminal case.

We've traveled the tour routes, know the race stats on most of the racers, having followed the tour as cyclist & fans for a long time. We are not just "Lance fans" as so many of the recent American tour goers have been.

I am not defending Armstrong alone, but American cycling in general.

Doping is a major problem and every rider found guilty should be banned for life, but if it can't be proven that an individual is guilty, then speculation only hurts the sport.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, Franky and his wife wouldn't lie under oath, but Lance would. Right. There are some people who are just determined to believe, despite the masses of evidence to the contrary, that Lance took illegal drugs and obviously PalQ is one of them.

I hope Landis' second test is negative as I'd love to see him join Discovery.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM

So i guess Franky Andreau and his wife are bald face liars after all.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Likewise. I just don't believe a guy of Landis's background would use performance-enhancing drugs.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Neopolitan

Why does it surprise anyone that people still want to rant and rave about Lance taking drugs? He's American, isn't he? As anyone who visits this website regularly knows, all Americans are fat, lazy, loud, obnoxious, cheats who do do nothing but whine.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM

There are many reasons people lie, like trying to gain media attention. Maybe the Frog couple is going to sell their story to a publication like the "National Enquirer"? Money motivates people to do crazy things.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM

I would honestly hope he didn't resort to drug use but I'm not sure I completely agree that his "background" is a major factor. Fame and fortune can cause many things to occur.

More muddying is his recent abrupt withdrawal from a race in (?)Denmark without apparent explanation.

I hope for everyone's sake the results of the "B" sample are made know as soon as possible.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Why speculate, & better yet why even announce it to the press prior to the second test being done ?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM

PalQ---so you believe the statement of a layperson, a woman who had a grudge against Armstrong, over the sworn testimony of every physician who was also present at the same meeting? See:

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10088.0.html

The doctors would have paid close attention to this matter, because it would implicate the causation and treatment of Lance's cancer. But why Armstrong's "friends" were present at this discussion is still a mystery to me. According to the article, there wre about 10 people present, including the doctors, Frankie and Betsy, and other friends of Armstrong. Betsy was the only one who "heard" the statement.

EPO may indeed have been mentioned, because it is a drug given to cancer patients during chemotherapy. Maybe Betsy was confused. Or maybe malicious. . . who knows. But I'll believe the doctors' statements over hers.

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:54 AM

since illegal performance enhancing drugs seem to be endemic to cycling racing - duhh - several top riders were kicked out even before the race began - duhh
why not just legalize everything and let the riders do what most winners seem to be doing anyway. Actually it was this way when the Tour began and many took amphetimines and there were more than a few riders who hit the physical wall and died.
Just seems that nothing lessens the illegal stuff - i mean why would top riders be disqualified before the race - didn't they know they would be caught - and Landis too, if it turns out to true as it seems to be - why would he do it - perhaps he was so far behind that that was the only way to get back in the race.
I don't know who took what or when but the whole thing has left a distate for competitive cycling in my mouth.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM

NoraS - i thought Frankie also testified that he heard it - if not i may then agree with you - he seems like an all-right guy on the broadcast - his wife may have a grudge and if only she heard it then it would make a big difference to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -