Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tour de France, Strasbourg and Colmar advice needed

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Mig

My family and I are planning on traveling to France from the US this year to watch a few stages of the Tour de France and explore the region. Has anyone watched the race before? where? how was it? Any advice? We're looking at staying in Strasbourg or Colmar to watch the riding in the Vosges mountains. Any advice on traveling in that area. Where to stay what else to do? All replies are much appreciated.

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:51 AM
StCirq

I saw the race last year, when it came through my village in the Dordogne.Basd on that experience, I'd say that if you are going to plan to watch it from a town (as opposed to on the road between towns), you need to get a spot about an hour or two before the anticipated arrival time (which will be on tv, on the radio, and in all the newspapers). It's a gret experience, albeit a very brief one. About a half-hour before the riders arrive, all the media and promotional vehicles come through, showering you with freebies like miniature sausages, cheese, hats, whistles, télécartes, backpacks, etc., and it's a big scramble to snag a treat. The riders go by so fast it's nearly impossible to tell who's who (though we did make out Lance Armstrong).
I prefer Strasbourg to Colmar, but many will disagree. I actually prefer to stay between the two, in Obernai or Eguisheim, which is a village I find less fraught with the touristy schtick that one can find along the Route du Vin. It's a lovely area in general, though, and you certainly should drive the length of the Route du Vin and check out the wine towns like Riquewihr and Ribeauvillé and the Haut Koenigsburg castle. You also might want to drive the 50-mile Route des Crêtes, from Col du Bonhomme to Cernay. It was created during WW I by the French army in an attempt to prevent the Germans from observing their troops. It's just a scenic drive now, but it affords gorgeous views over the Lorraine countryside.

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Austin

If you take St Cirq' good suggestion to stay in Obernai there is a great little 4star hotel there--A la Cour d'Alsace--with two good restauants--a stube and a regular restaurant.

AH

Mar 14th, 2001, 01:17 PM
kalena

I would recommend you also timed it so you could see the finish down the Champs Elysee. My husband is an avid cyclist, and although our timing has never worked out to follow the stages, we have seen the finish several times.
Attaching an article from yerterday's Le Monde that you might enjoy

>http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987...59246-,00.html

Mar 14th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Anna

We stayed in Colmar last fall at the Hotel St. Martin (http://www.hotel-saint-martin.com/). The staff was helpful and the rooms were very comfortable, the breakfast was good too. We had an excellent dinner at the Hotel Le Marechal (http://www.romantikhotels.com/colmar/).We enjoyed the Route du Vin and sampling the different wines, we especially liked Clos St. Landelin. Be sure to stop in the town of Eguisheim, the main square had a pretty fountain and flowers were overflowing out of their boxes.