Tour de France in Paris - Best Viewpoint

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris on Sunday, July 24th. People have told me that it is impossible to see the race as the crowds are about 5 people deep - should go to a bar and watch it on TV. I just read an article that didn't make it seem that difficult and said the best place for viewing was near Place de la Concorde. Anyone have firsthand experience as to where would be the best place to see the race in Paris? Thanks.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:59 AM

It isn't "five deep" everywhere along the ciruit.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM

I've watched the Tour de France beside The Place de la Concorde and for the 2 hours I waited and the 5 seconds of seeing the cyclists, I wouldn't bother doing it again.

You have no idea who wins, you're desperately trying to see the rider with the yellow jersey but its all a blur as they're going about 40 km/per hour

My advice, find a cafe with a TV on and where the cyclists past, see them ride past and then watch the remainder of the race on the TV with a nice glass of wine.

Geordie
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I've seen it a couple times, including last year on the Champs-Elysees. Five deep is good, it's usually more. I couldn't see much of anything, although you could see the final announcements and prize awarding because they do that on a stage, so it is higher up. That was basically on the grassy park just to the west of the actual place de la Concorde.

Well, I can tell you a great place, I was jealous, but it is limited -- the McDonalds on the Champs-Elysees has several tables/seats on the second floor right in front of the window overlooking the street. Now those folks had great seats (and could even have a drink or snack while watching). Other than that, you'd have to get there pretty early to be able to see well. Lots of kids etc were standing on whatever was available (benches, etc), so you'd have folks in front of you no matter what. There are some benches along the grassy part closer to the Concorde, but I imagine they had people staking them out, also.

There probably are less crowds somewhere on the route that is not the Champs-Elysees, but I haven't been there. I'd be curious why this article you read thinks it is so easy and what they were suggesting. I don't know why they would think it so easy around the place de la Concorde, that was probably the most congested spot (and very flat, of course). It is where you can see the awarding of the trophy (on a big outdoor screen, if nothing else), so maybe that's why they said that.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

The article is in the June 1 American Way Magazine which you can also view on line at www.americanwaymag.com. The article was actually on viewing the race along the route. His concluding paragraph says when in Paris for the race he gets up, goes for a run, strolls through the Orsay around noon before doubling back to the Place de la Concorde. Doesn't sound like he is in too much of a hurry to steak out a spot to me.

Incidentally, there is also an article on Paris by Michel Stipe of REM which is a little interesting.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I was in Paris for the last day of the tour 2 years ago. We were along the rue de Rivoli almost across from the the carrousel du Louvre. We could see plenty. My then 12 year old daughter was with us and she also could see. It was so exciting to watch the cyclist zoom by. When we thought the race was almost over we made our way to the finish. I can't remember our route but it wasn't easy to get there, but well worth it. We only saw Lance from the waist up but that was ok. My sister (50) climbed up on a semi-truk to take picture of everyone's whole body. Nobody got mad, they just laughed. (probably because she is very attractive!) We also walked down the middle of the Champs-Elysees when they were cleaning up. We were standing there thinking here we are right in the middle of the road, no traffic, it was just amazing. Don't watch it on a tv you can do that at home anytime, go experience the crowd and enjoy what you can see. It can be a once in your lifetime event. It was Amazing!!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Hi Ronda
I've been twice to Paris for Le Tour and I agree, the best place to really enjoy it is in a good bar with others watching the action on TV. But we did however get to see the Peleton arrive up at the Place de Bastille where they only do 2 circuits but is less busy (even go to see the yellow jersey M. Armstrong). You can then grab the metro to a good local bar to enjoy the excitment. I did however read once that the best vantage point is on the ferris wheel in the Gardens to Tuillieries by the Eiffel Tower(which is a fun thing to do without the Tour)as they ride right by it. Its a wonderful event and its great to be there for it and soak up the atmosphere. Enjoy!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:13 AM

I read that article, and he did say to skip the crowds in Paris. I think the key is that he did probably spend a bit of time waiting for it, it doesn't end until around 4-6 pm. I just have no tolerance for standing around hours to see a bike race. It sounds like he may have gotten there about 2-3 hours before the finish, which is certainly an option. He also doesn't say he had a good view of anything, just that he was there around the finish line for the excitement. Well, so was I but I couldn't see the bikes racing. Like a lot of those events, it starts getting really crowded in about the last hour before they are due to do the finishing laps up and down near the Arc. I think you could see pretty well if you were willing to wait 2-3 hours for it.

The rue de Rivoli sounds like a good idea, but people like to see the end (which is where I was) where they actually win.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Dear Ronda, I read your post and I thought to myself, gosh we are going to be in Paris on July 24th also! Yeah! I told my 17 year old son and he is extremely excited. He hopes to find a t-shirt or some other type of cool souvenier. I guess we will line up on the Champs Elysees and watch the blur go by.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Bob, hope you and your son have a wonderful time. We took our daughter when she was 17 and she has great memories.

I watched the tour on tv last year and I was surprised at how many times they go around Paris before the race ends. I wonder how many times they circle and how long it takes. There must be a site for the tour where we could find out what time they arrive in Paris and when the expected finish is, course, etc.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Check the route in advance and wait at some point along the route other than the Champs-Elysées. At many points there is hardly anyone watching and you can stand right next to the course as they cyclists zip by. You'll only see them once, of course, but you'll see them up close. The Champs-Elysées portion is a Major Media Event and is a waste of time in person. You won't see anything, you'll be trapped in a huge crowd, you won't have any easy way to get in or out of the area, and it will be very hot.