Tour Company for Day Trips from Paris

Mar 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Tour Company for Day Trips from Paris

Hi
We are looking at a day trip from Paris to Mont St Michel or the Loire Valley. We don't want to deal with renting a car and thought a day tour might be the way to go. I have found many companies on the internet but don't know which are good. We would prefer a smaller goup if possible. If it's a 12 hour day or so, that's not a problem. Can anyone reccomend a tour company that does that?

Thanks
Mar 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Look up either cityrama (www.cityrama.com I think) or Paris Vison (www.parisvision.com)...both are reputable and have some tours that use mini vans instead of coaches (although the coach tours are more than acceptable)...I took a coach tour with one of them (the companies are very similar and located within 2 blocks of each other on Rue de Rivoli) and the tour was fine..(if you belong to AAA assuming you're from the USA, cityrama is affiliated with gray line and will give you a 10% discount with an AAA card).
Mar 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM

I was in Paris last month and saw those companies. They offer a poor service for a high price, long road by bus, no pick-up...
My hotel advised me a tour-guide they were working with, I paid cheaper and travelled only with my family in a smart minivan. 125 EUR per person instead of 178 EUR. Amazing service, very warm-hearted and funny person, very professionnal.
You can see his page here : http://kantanfrance.wordpress.com/
Or he post some pictures of its tours in Loire valley and Mont-Saint-Michel here http://kantanfrance.vox.com/

I made tour in Mont Saint Michel and I was happy of the service so I booked him a tour in Loire valley. It was wonderful to travel quiet with a tour-guide only for us.

You should contact him

Ahmad
Mar 28th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Viator.com has such a trip. I have used them for day trips in Turkey, Croatia, and Costa Rica--but not in Paris. You can book on-line and they give frequent flyer miles.
I checked their prices against tours offered through our hotels and Viator prices were as good or better.
Mar 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM

I took a Cityrama bus tour, although not to those locations -- to Vaux le Vicomte and it was a full day. It was NOT poor service, and I thought the price was quite fair considering it was an entire day, bus transportation to/from the site (which is not that easy to get to on your own), and an excellent tour guide who who was very knowledgeable, a very nice bus, and a group small enough for me (couple dozen, probably). Ahmad's comment implies that he really never took any of those tours and does not know whether they are poor service or not.

It's true you meet at the bus around Pyramides metro for Cityrama but that is inconsequential to me, anyone should be able to get around Paris to a central metro stop.

However, if you have a full family to fill a van, the cost of a bus day tour to Mont St Michel or the Loire would get pricey, and it would be more economical to hire an independent person, that's true. I don't see how the distance of the trip would be affected, though, both those are long trips (espec Mont St Michel).
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM

I am sorry Christina you are right, I naver took the bus.
I want to say I went to Cityrama, and PARIS VISION. I have been told for Mont Saint Michel around 170 EUR. I think it's expensive. To get a pick-up service to the hotel, they asked me an extra-fee. I asked safety seat for my little girl they told me there are not.
For my family, travelling with an independant was better. He gave me a price of 125 EUR. The minivan was clean, and comfortable. The guide was available to take pictures of me and my family, was very friendly and attentive. I saved around 100 EUR for a better service. The pick up to the hotel and the come back to hotel was free of charge.
When I saw tourists of Cityrama leaving at 4PM from Mont Saint Michel I asked my guide when will we leave, he told me " when you want sir, you should wait to see the sunset ".
We got back at 9.30PM, full of pictures of sunset in Mont Saint Michel. And all Cityrama buses and Paris Vision left at 4-5PM.
We stopped in a restaurant in Caen, we visited the city...
Can you tell me if Cityrama offers all those services ?
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Cityrama and ParisVision also seem to offer hotel pickup,, I have no idea what this fellow promoting Kantuparis is saying. It does cost more though.
I did a Cityrama daytrip to Loire Valley three years ago, thought it was well done . Guides were nice, and once we arrived at the various destinations( we saw three Chateau) we were divided into our language groups, there was only about 20-25 english speakers in our group so it wasn't like we were on a big bus tour group of 40-50.
Ahmadubai, seems you really are pushing for this other fellow, if he is a private guide what assurences will these tourists have that he is reliable? Does he take Visa, or just cash? Very interesting.
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Ahmad.....you do realize that there is NO advertising on this website. All your postings imply this.
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Oh, Iam sorry ! I don't advertise, I had a good experience and want to share it. You're right he took only cash! But I paid only at the departure and had a bill. He did not told me to pay in advance.
I went to Loire valley too it was very very nice.
This site is to share good experience isn't it ? Anyways, you should contact him and ask some questions, he will do that better than me, I won't speak about this any more! Sorry once again.
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Sorry about that last sentence ending but the cat has just jumped on the keyboard......anyway Ahmad you are implying you travelled with this company and it just sounds to be you are plugging their services.
Stop advertising......even my cat agrees.
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Iam sorry for disturbing the cat. Anyways there are goos trips to do from Paris. Mont Saint Michel and Loire valley needs a whole journey, and it's very interesting !
Mar 28th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Goldwyn, you hit the nail on the head, this fellow has posted only 4 times, and in each post he has posted a link to "this fellow" ( himself/) to promote private tour services.

Ahmad, it is not a bad thing to be a private tour guide, but, to use the boards for FREE advertising while posing as a tourist it not fair, all the other companies and services have to pay fees to promote themselves.
Perhaps it would be best if you just reply to posts without always promoting your friend or alter ego "kantufrance". We are interested in your personal experiences, not on going on Kantus website which you have listed now 4 times.
Nov 5th, 2013, 11:50 PM

Also thinking of day trips from Paris.

Mont st Michael is one of the ones we might also visit, however our time is limited (only 2-3 free days in paris).

I've been looking for group tours through viator, however, I would rather book via the actual tour company/operator.

Any ideas? Currently looking at paris city vision which seems promising.