Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

tour companies to choose for tulip tours in Holland

Apr 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Hoping to plan a tour of Holland at tulip time for a groupof women friends. What is your experience with the different tour companies? I would consider either a barge cruise or a upscale bus tour. What is the best week to travel? Any important specifics to remember when considering a company? Not interested in bargain tours.
Apr 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM

It's been about 29 hours since you posted and you've had no replies. Two reasons:

1. Most Fodor people are do-it-yourselfers when it comes to travel. Commercial tour companies are about as welcome as a visit to the dentist.

2. Holland is probably the easiest country to get around in by yourself. Everybody speaks English and the public transportation system (rail, bus, tram, etc.) is generally outstanding. Rent a bike or hoof it for the rest.

If you want to sit in an a/c bus with a bunch of other tourists and are not interested in bargain tours you can visit a travel agent who will be only too happy to help. However, since you plan to visit during tulip time you will be darn lucky to find a place to stay unless you already have a room. Tulip time has already started and my guess is that Holland is 99% booked through the middle of May.

Apr 21st, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I'm talking about Tulip time in 2006 not this year!!
Dec 11th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Is there anyone out there who can help Janet and me with this question?

Despite Hopscotch's informative reply, I too am one who does not like to tour with my head in a travel book nagivating while both my husband and I miss all the stuff we spent so much money to SEE. Travel agents provide many options, but referrals from people who have actually done the tours are the most helpful. (And I happen to like my dentist!)

Help anyone?
Dec 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I don't know what your budget is but Maupintours www.maupintour.com has tours that specialize in Holland "in bloom", they also have a specialty tour section called Gutsy Women Travel for single ladies too. It is pricey but they are a great company. You can get discounts of 5-8% off the land price by using a travel agecy consolidator like www.trafalgartours4less.com (they discount all tour companies), pavlustravel.com, and affordabletours.com.

www.maupintour.com
www.gutsywomentravel.com
Dec 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I just noticed this original question was posted in April of this year\/