Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   tour companies for italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tour-companies-for-italy-639849/)

p1chap Aug 17th, 2006 07:19 AM

tour companies for italy

we're off to italy next year and would appreciate comments on tour company experiences. we're strongly leaning toward perilllo.

nytraveler Aug 17th, 2006 09:20 AM

I have no personal experience of Perillo - but (elderly) friends of my parents took one of their Italy tours 2 yers ago and were very disappointed. (And these are people who almost always do tours.)

They said hotels were modest at best and in poor locations (the hotel in Venice was actually "substituted" for one in Mestre) and the meals provided were barely edible.

Caveat: these people usually travel with Tauck - which they like - but went with relatives who wanted to do Perillo. They said the relatively small reduction in price was not at all worth the huge drop in quality.

MFNYC Aug 17th, 2006 09:33 AM

I've haerd good things about Tauck. Most people on this board are 'do it youself-ers'. As NYT points out, some tours do place you in poorly located hotels, and if food is included, it generally is inferior.

When do you plan on going and for how long? Any must-see cities or areas?

Margaretlb Aug 17th, 2006 09:35 AM

My mother took a Globus tour in March 2005 and loved it. Her's was a 12 or 14 night tour and she visited the Almalfi Coast and north. Her tour included Sorrento, Capri, Rome, Florence, Assisi, Milan, Lake Como and Venice. Assisi was only one night but all other stops were for at least two. She was more than satisfied and it is just incredible how much she saw in such a short time. Mom was 73 at the time but all others on the tour were mid-50's to 60's.

LJ Aug 17th, 2006 09:56 AM

We also had friends who found Globus very good.They were inexperienced travellers as far as European destinations were concerned who had taken bus tours back in North America. They visited us while we were living in Italy and raved about their just-completed tour of Rome, Florence (and some other spots in Tuscany), Assisi (and some other spots in Umbria)-no Venice as I recall but perhaps that was an optonal extra?

They liked the food Globus offered, but, I must admit, they were unadventurous eaters and were quite picky about authentic Italian food as served in the better restaurants (fresh fish, good salumni , sheeps milk cheeses, etc).

mulifat Aug 17th, 2006 10:03 AM

Globus is a good company but their hotel locations are hit and miss. Perillo is a cut above, but as you stated still leaves a bit to be desired. Tauck is the best you will find,albeit they can be pricey. But with the dollar so weak, it might be a better value than in the past. Another good company is ABC tours out of NJ. Also Collette is a reliable company. The key is to ask what hotels they are using, then do your own research on them, and see if they guarantee those hotels, or allow "subsitutions"

kwren Aug 17th, 2006 10:12 AM

My son and I went on a Globus Tour of Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Padua and Verona and were pleased. I looked up the hotels before booking so I knew what I would be getting. It was the only time I ever took a tour so I don't have anything to compare it to, but the guide was charming and the timing and itinerary were good for what my son and I wanted. The Globus representative took the time to answer all my questions before I booked the tour. I didn't look at more upscale tours because of budgetary constraints after already spending 10 days in France for a wedding.

Miramar Aug 17th, 2006 10:21 AM

No experience with Perillo, but I just did a Tauck tour to Italy this past May. I loved it-- I thought it was just the right mix of being with the group and with having enough free time to pursue own interests. If you have any interest in the Tauck experience, do a search for my review that I wrote upon my return.

ssanto8403 Aug 30th, 2006 04:26 PM

Just got back from Rome, Venice and Florence tour with Globus. For the money they can't be beat. A lot depends on the tour director, ours was great.

teacher33 Aug 31st, 2006 04:56 AM

I have done tours with Grand Circle (gct.com) one to Poland, Czech Rep, and Hangary and the other to Slovenia, Croatia. They stay two or more nights in most places which give you a chance to do your own thing or go with the group. They stayed in convenient hotels. The biggest plus was a chance to meet with a local family at a home hosted meal.

While I have not been on the Italy tours, friends have and loved them.

In cost comparison, I found them to be more reasonable tahn many tours and their single supplements are definitely the most reasonable.