Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Toulouse center city parking - difficult?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2017, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be there for the first time in a few weeks, and that's the word that my trusty Michelin Greed Guide uses to describe the situation. The recommendation is to park in an outlying area, near a metro station, and come in to the city that way. I do see, however, that the Michelin map shows parking at both the Place des Carmes and the Place St-Etienne. Are those good choices? If it matters, I'm looking at September 17, which is the Sunday of the Heritage Days weekend.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 07:34 AM

It's a very big city, parking in city centers is always difficult.
It probably depends where you are coming from, the lot at pl St Etienne isn't that big, nor is Carmes. Are you coming/going from the south? Sure, give it a try (Carmes). Since it's a Sunday, you could try near the Palais de Justice first if you are coming that way. It's a smaller lot, also, but if you are going to take metro anyway, why not stop first. If you aren't coming from the south, you could just park at the train station, they have a lot of spaces and charge less than those other lots.

I haven't done this, but I'd park most convenient to where you are coming from near a metro stop.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 07:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I never found parking in Toulouse all that difficult. And when I went there with my mother who had mobility problems, I just used one of the underground car parks next to the hotel. Obviously, it cost at least 12-15 euros overnight, but it was not all that big a deal.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 10:12 AM

It should not be bad on a Sunday, you could try the paking garage at the main train station.

We lived southwest of the city and would drive to the end of the metro line, Basso Cambo was best for us. Parking was free (as of 18 months ago) and we'd take the metro in, about 15 minutes to Place Capitole. The metro is cheap on Sunday and although only two intersecting lines and one tram line, has lots of stops in the city center.

One issue with Toulouse and GPS, in the city center there's a pretty confusing one-way system, lots of pedestrian-only streets, which the GPS usually knows, BUT Toulouse has a habit of raising bollards when least expected and cutting off a street that was accessible a minute before.

Great, fun city.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 03:15 PM

Good question! We will be staying in the Capitole area, and the hotel says we can reserve parking for 36euro a night! Coming from Albi, so from the NE. Must be somewhere convenient that we can park for less than that. Maybe the train station for us?
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 10:05 AM

If you're coming in on a Sunday, the traffic will not be bad. As you're staying near Capitole, I would try the station (gare de toulouse/matabiau) parking or parking jeanne d'arc. The train station parking is multi-story and jeanne d'arc is all underground, from the street it will not look like a parking garage, there was a small bus terminus at ground level which may still be there, haven't parked there in four-five years.

http://www.toulouse-visit.com/offre/...apitole/page-1

If you're coming from the northeast, the stations at the ends of the metro lines in that direction are Borderouge, line B, Balma Gramont, line A. I've been trying to find more info about them as I've never used them, we lived southwest of the city. So, not familiar with the parking situation but would be surprised if there weren't car parks.

Your hotel quote of 36€ might not be much less than the parking fees at the rail station or jeanne d'arc, 24€/24 hours rings a bell. Keep in mind the parking at the metro stops will not be as secure and not staffed overnight.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 10:10 AM

Check this out, looks like around 15€ overnight and you can prebook:

https://www.onepark.co/parkings/2674...?begin_date=09
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Your hotel quote of 36€ might not be much less than the parking fees at the rail station >>

Rail stations generally charge less than private parking garages in most cities. It isn't anywhere near 36 euro in Toulouse. Even where I live in DC, the train station charges about $10 less a day than private garages. I think the normal daily rate is 16 euro at gare Matabiau, the above link may be a parking website that gives discounts, there are alot of those around nowadays, great if you can plan ahead.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 11:21 AM

As you can read, I corrected myself prior to your posting. The 24€ quesstimate is what I remember for jeanne d'arc which isn't clear from what I wrote.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 12:01 PM

Thanks very much Cath