Tough Decision - Fares from DC to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are traveling to France in June. My plan has always been to look for tickets in February. Ideally we would fly non-stop from Dulles (Washington DC) to Charles de Galle.

But - I am havine a tough time passing up a $738 fare out of BWI to CDG - on Iceland Air. Of course - it stops in Iceland - tough on the kids. But I suspect that is by far the lowest fare I am going to see.

Question - is that $738 as good as it sounds. Or - should I hold off looking for something better?
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM

$738 to Paris in June isn't bad at all, even with the stop in Rejkjavik! Be advisied though that you'll fly in a narrow-body 757, a tight squeeze on a domestic flight, let alone a transatlantic one.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Do you have time to do a stopover in Iceland, as the airline encourages? That would be an unique experience your kids would likely enjoy.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM

I fly Icelandair whenever I can. The prices usually can't be beat, esp if you can fly midweek. The plane is 3 seats each side of one aisle, and the movie video is shared, but I have found it as comfortable as any of the larger planes for economy. And, in my opinion, BWI beats Dulles as an airport any time. The layover in Iceland is about an hour which is time enough to stretch, snack and use a real bathroom. One advantage too is that you pass through passport control there and once in Paris you just leave the airport after claiming your luggage. Are you on Icelandair's email list for Lucky Fares? But the price you have found sounds good for June. The return flight over Greenland during daylight hours is one of the most awe inspiring views I have experienced.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM

$738 is not too bad for high season (and June is definately popular).

Icelandair is not uncomfortable, IMO. I have flown them BWI to London. I kind of like the fact that the longest segment is 6 hours or less. And, as mentioned, there is the famous free stopover in Reykjavik - a possibility depending on how much time you have...
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM
ira

Hi rh,

Your price looks pretty good.

Where did you find it?

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM

I've flown Icelandair and I don't see the 757 as a problem. It's a typical aircraft on many domestic long-hauls and the flight from BWI to Iceland is only about 500 miles longer than going from BWI to the west coast. (From Iceland to Paris is less than 1,400 miles -- not much different than BWI to Denver.)

I agree with taking advantage of the stopover to add Reykjavik as a bonus to your trip, too. It's a very friendly, unintimidating place where almost everyone seems to know English. A dip in the Blue Lagoon and enjoying the extremely long days of June in Iceland would be a very different experience, so don't write it off.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM

We are going to CDG from BOS and on the way back stopping for an overnight in Iceland. Will do Blue Lagoon and hopefully catch the Northern Lights. Breaking up the flight won't be bad. I wouldn't want to do it if I had to stop at LHR; did that it was a mess. I hear Keflavik is ok for transfers. It's certainly an opportunity to see a bit of Iceland that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:07 PM

I have used seatguru.com to check specific planes and which seats to reserve - it's great, lets you know which are the best. Granted, that can be subjective, but it gives you the informstion you need to make an intelligent decision.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:37 AM

Have you checked your dates using aggregator sites such as www.itasoftware.com and consolidator sites such as www.onetravel.com?

How much more of a hassle or cost will if be for you to leave from BWI vs. from IAD?

Does that fare INCLUDE taxes and fees?
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:02 AM

$738 seems high to me from the Baltimore-Washington area to Paris in June. Of course, who knows what will happen with airline fuel prices over the next few months.

But we've never paid over $600 in June from the area--including taxes and fees. We had a $525 fare out of IAD to Frankfurt in mid-June this year.