Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Totally Travel Related (Honest) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/totally-travel-related-honest-665564/)

samting Dec 21st, 2006 11:06 AM

Totally Travel Related (Honest)

Hi everyone. We have notice the increase of the Euro, and the contrast to the Dollar...We are scheduled to go to Europe twice in the coming year. My question is, since I presume everything will cost more and the exchange will not be in our favor, is there anything, anything at all that I should buy anyway...should have mentioned we are going to Spain, Portugal, and to Scotland? Are any of you travellers impacted by this factor to any degree?

FainaAgain Dec 21st, 2006 11:14 AM

I would say, food is mandatory.

robjame Dec 21st, 2006 11:25 AM

I am not sure if this is what you are asking but we are retired and plan to rent accomodation rather than stay in hotels this trip. In this way we will lessen the impact of the $ on our holiday.
I agree with Faina - buy food regardless. LOL

sandi_travelnut Dec 21st, 2006 12:17 PM

You are not required to buy anything, so buy what you feel you MUST have. As with any other trip just weigh the value of your purchase (figuratively, the literal part is done once you get to the airport), against the price and the fact that you'll have to lug it around till you leave.

SuzieC Dec 21st, 2006 12:22 PM

I believe wine is important. And if in Portugal, I believe they make some pretty tasty Ports
I find I am enjoying Spain's "cava"...

Anyone else remember Mateus wine?
It was really good when I was oh...say...21 ... back when dinosaurs roamed freely...

fishee Dec 21st, 2006 12:24 PM

one thing -- I noticed when looking for apartments that some of the owners lived in the U.S. and so offered a USD rate. It would be good to lock in those prices and be able to pay in USD.

FainaAgain Dec 21st, 2006 12:25 PM

There is one tiny thing I wish I saw and buy!

You know, how they always joke: be aware of buying Swiss cheese, they make holes in it? In one hotel they had cards for sale, yellow cards with holes like in that joke.

I didn't check the front desk display, only saw a girl from our tour group sending it to somebody the next day :(

Now I have a silly reason to go back to Switzerland :)

ira Dec 22nd, 2006 06:55 AM

Hi S,

Ten years from now you will be more disappointed by what you **didn't** bring back with you than the fact that you saved $100.

((I))

LJ Dec 22nd, 2006 07:32 AM

I am going to buck the trend here and answer the question I believe you are asking. Yes, there are some things that you should bring back despite the dollar/Euro/pound gap.

Though folks, me included, go on and on about Italian ceramics, there are some very interesting offerings of that sort in Portugal. A little simpler, maybe more primitive than Tuscan pattterns, they are lovely in their own way. Try the area north of the Algarve, especially Monchique. Also, the Portugal do flannel like nobody's business, with excellent PJ's and sheets; bring your bed sizes in inches/cms as the names are diffferent in Europe.

And in Scotland, you really should indulge in wool...sweaters, kilt and kilt gear if you are into that.

I have never been to Spain and will leave that to others.

Good luck and happy shopping!